Found another '66 Formula S but I have some doubts...

-

70SwingerGT

Reaction score
I found another '66 Barracuda Formula S 273/automatic car, but someone took out the 273 Commando, front sway bar, disc brakes and the 8-3/4. Otherwise, it's all there. Has the 6-leaf rear springs like it is supposed to have and the torsion bars appear to be bigger than my non-Formula S cars.

The VIN on door post matches VIN plate on inner fender (and certicard) and it matches numbers stamped on radiator core support. However, the color up inside the trunk area where you would never see (or paint) does not match. VIN plate says car was blue with blue vinyl interior. Up inside the trunk space is red. Other than that it has all the appearances of a real Formula S, minus the items someone swapped/removed.

I bought it for parts, but it's too nice to pull apart. I'd rather put it back together and have a 3rd Formula S in the driveway lol...maybe put a 5.7 swap in it since it's automatic?

Last edited:
The VIN is only on the drivers door pillar, the certicard, the build sheet, and the IBM card at Chrysler. The fender tag will have the shipping order number which will match the radiator support stamping and usually a stamping under the rear cargo deck. If it's a true Formula S, there will be a 7 under the F on the fender tag. Maybe post a photo of the fender tag?

The last formula S 66 barracuda I stripped had a factor 7-1/4 rear 3:21 suregrip.
8-3/4 rears were special order. This was a 273/4 auto car.

My NN4BB code "S" was painted HH copper! Had light blue under that....primer? 32 under AB is a 273/4 with said 7 under F for Formula S. D=9 for disc brakes. 66 was different than a 65 that would have ABC=312 and a T=8 for tach

-
Back