Found parts in my 904 Pan

-

FragginDale

Reaction score
Hey everyone.
So yesterday I was in my shop working on my car (74 Scamp with a 360 & 904 with shift kit set up). I just replaced the voltage regulator so I hopped in and revved it in park to watch my volts. And the car all of a sudden surged forward and made a clank noise. I investigated and reverse is gone, but when it's in neutral it drives forward like it's in first. And in park it tries to go forward but then stops and makes a clank noise. So I jacked up my car and pulled the transmission pan off to find a bolt and what I believe is part of the intermediate band. Im going to finish dropping out the trans today and try and see if anything else is broken. I figured I would ask for advice here sense I have never opened a transmission. I'm trying to figure out if it's worth fixing the 904 or swapping over to a 727. I have a 727 that came with the car but it came out of a truck and I don't know the condition. So I need to figure out what I would need to swap to that transmission or fix 904. Any suggestions would be great guys. Thank you

20180106_161635.jpg

20180106_161650.jpg

If nothing else is broken you could drop the valve body in the car, replace the strut, adjust both bands and reinstall the valve body.

It would have dropped out because the forward band was too loose, either the lining has disintegrated (most likely, looks like lining material in the pan), the band broke or it was just plain out of adjustment.

If the lining has disintegrated the trans has to come out. I am guessing this is the case and a rebuild is in order.

Something in the direct drum is broken. It's causing the clutch to stay engaged. That's why it wants to move all the time.

I can tell because of the other stuff in that pan that the trans is done.
It needs a rebuilt at the very least.

And the screw is from the valve body as it looks too short for a filter screw. (which is what you usually find if one falls out)
It probably also made zero difference that it was out.

I can tell because of the other stuff in that pan that the trans is done.
It needs a rebuilt at the very least.

And the screw is from the valve body as it looks too short for a filter screw. (which is what you usually find if one falls out)
It probably also made zero difference that it was out.

I took the pan and cleaned it out. The amount of crud was disheartening. This 904 will go into my shop and be my learning opportunity on rebuild transmissions. But for the short time I will be installing the 727 to get it up and running again. I know I will need to get my driveshaft cut down but other than that I'm not sure. Any advice?

I took the pan and cleaned it out. The amount of crud was disheartening. This 904 will go into my shop and be my learning opportunity on rebuild transmissions. But for the short time I will be installing the 727 to get it up and running again. I know I will need to get my driveshaft cut down but other than that I'm not sure. Any advice?

Looks like you have a plan to me.:D

Got off work and spend a bit of time working on the car. Transmission is almost out. Just gotta figure out how to take apart the shifter linkage and then unbolt it and drop it. Got my 727 transported to work and went to put a new filter on it. Pulled the pan off and found a nice metallic paste in the bottom of the pan that was stuck to it. And the filters got a ton of little metal shavings over it. So it turns out the 727 I had that was supposedly good needs rebuilt. So currently I can either rebuild the 904 or the 727.

20180109_192920.jpg

Another great transmission guy is John cope of CRT Transmissions. I build my own and get all my parts from him. Great guy and very easy to talk too. He is out of Indiana.

http://coperacingtrans.com/

Be sure the 727 was behind a small block V8 as the bellhousing is different between a small and big block.

-
Back