found why my distributor was wabbling READ THIS

-

winstoninwisc

Taint easy livin free,season ticket ona 1wayride
Reaction score
the devil was in the details . my distributor was wabbling , felt like an egg was in it for a rotor . So I took off the capp rotor was tight , so I pulled the lockdown bolt out and pulled the distributor . My intake is an aftermarket ,So I got looking down the didtrib. hole and looking around I noticed that the intake was real tight against the distrib hole , got looking closer at the hole around on the block and I could see a little sealer beaded out just enough to get caught under the distributor when it got installed , and was not sitting flat down on the block .so I took a razor blade and carefully cut around the edge of the notchout in the intake and pulled up a little sealer about an inch long , enough to make it not sit flush and made it ride catty wampus in the hole . I got the extra sealer out of the way and set the distributor back down in and it gave the little metal to metal click to tell me it was back in correct . put holdown back on and reinstalled cap , and shazam the wabble was gone .I almost bout a new distributor thinking I bent the shaft or wore out a bushing in it msd distrib $157.00 catching the devel in the detailes priceless , I would still be chasing my tail . the old guy that was trying to teach me about building motors , always said check every thing 3 times . he musta been looking down that day to help me catch this . GL with all your builds guys , I will be posting for 1 more timing question , but the devil really is in the details , luckly it only took 2 1/2 nights of banging my head to catch this 1 before I started throwing $$$ at it going no wheres .

Good news that you found the problem. Keep an eye on the base for oil leaks. It may need a gasket if it leaks. I think most of the gasket lits just use a paper gasket about the thickness of a cereal box. tmm

Good news that you found the problem. Keep an eye on the base for oil leaks. It may need a gasket if it leaks. I think most of the gasket lits just use a paper gasket about the thickness of a cereal box. tmm

:D I hate those paper gasket POS things.
Started using a small diameter O ring instead.

Winston I am glad you got this figured out I just figured out a carb problem that's been messing with me on and off for two years .

Actual diagnosis goes a long way. Hardly anybody does it anymore. They just throw parts at it and wonder why they never get it fixed. Good for you.

-
Back