Four barrel carburetor for slant 6 Offenhauser manifold?

-
Reaction score
Do any of you hippies out there have any experience with what four barrel Carburetor works best with the Offenhauser intake manifold? I recently picked up a 61 Lancer that has been sitting over 25 years with this set up with a 4bbl Carter (in which the secondarys are stuck closed) , stock exhaust manifold, unknown engine mods other than MSD electronic ignition. Sounds like it runs great when you pour fuel down the carb. Do you have a carb that you would like to sell? Thanks!

1964 Valiant
Ran a Holley 4160, 80457-3 0832.
600 CFM. Electric choke, vacuum secondaries on an Offy intake mated to a 1981 225 /6.

No issues. Did a rebuild on the carb. Probably a bit large for cruising

Currently in the midst of a V8 swap. Will be using the carb on the new (to me) motor

Kick off a WANTED ad when you decide what you're looking for.

1964 Valiant
Ran a Holley 4160, 80457-3 0832.
600 CFM. Electric choke, vacuum secondaries on an Offy intake mated to a 1981 225 /6.

No issues. Did a rebuild on the carb. Probably a bit large for cruising

Currently in the midst of a V8 swap. Will be using the carb on the new (to me) motor

Kick off a WANTED ad when you decide what you're looking for.
Thank you for the reply, I have read that a 350-450 cfm carburetor is a good range. I will post a want ad if nothing shows up in a few days.

I have a Quick Fuel 450 vacuum secondary on mine and it runs great.

I ran a Holley 390, bolted on and used the original linkage in my 68 D100 Utiline...

I also have a Holley 390 and it has not caused any issues for me aside from a high-idle screw that was way out of whack out of the box. Who knows if there is ever enough demand out of the engine for the secondaries to open, but at least they are there!

I'm a Carter (Elderbrock) fan. 500 cfm on a Offy.

IMG_0435.jpg

I've run both the Holley 390 and an Edelbrock 500 AVS2 on the Offy manifold, no issue with either one. The engine was moderately warmed up but nothing radical.

Someone recently asked the same thing on the /6 forum, I answered them. Was that you?
Rebuild what you have now. If you don't think you can, check with some of the site sponsors, I've heard Mike's is pretty good.

If you have a 4bbl Carter, you already have the best carb.....
Someone recently asked the same thing on the /6 forum, I answered them. Was that you?
Rebuild what you have now. If you don't think you can, check with some of the site sponsors, I've heard Mike's is pretty good.
Yes, that was me. I am not sure my Carter carburetor can be rebuilt.
The secondary's are stuck closed and I have been putting cab cleaner a PB Blaster on it to try and free them.

Yeah scroll down to the site sponsors
Woodruff carburetor specialties.
Lots of people here have talked in various posts about either sending in a carb for overhaul or getting parts...
I haven't heard anything bad about him/ them

^^^^^ Agree. For the price of Edelbrock/Carter AFB's that you will most likely have to open up and jet for your area. I would check out what Woodruff can do for you. I had Harms do a Thermo Quad for me and it was around $450 round trip and well worth it.

Hello Bewy,
the tag on the Carter is 4299S 6-1771. The secondary's are stuck closed and I wanted to try and free them up before I start carb shopping. Thank you for your input.

The 4299 is off a 67 383 Auto Trans & has 1 7/16" pri.
#404 rods. This is a three step rod, 063/060/051. Should have domed piston covers, not flat.
0.089" Pri jets
# 368 sec jets which probably have a 0.068" orifice.

To free up the shaft. Heat alum with a gun around the shaft area. Dribble in some ATF while warm; gently try to move shaft, not excessive force, or you could twist the shaft.

Hello Bewy,
the tag on the Carter is 4299S 6-1771. The secondary's are stuck closed and I wanted to try and free them up before I start carb shopping. Thank you for your input.
The 4299 is off a 67 383 Auto Trans & has 1 7/16" pri.
#404 rods. This is a three step rod, 063/060/051. Should have domed piston covers, not flat.
0.089" Pri jets
# 368 sec jets which probably have a 0.068" orifice.

To free up the shaft. Heat alum with a gun around the shaft area. Dribble in some ATF while warm; gently try to move shaft, not excessive force, or you could twist the shaft.
Thanks! I will try a little heat/atf and wiggle today and try to get the shaft loose.

I've got the same set-up as you have, but not installed yet. The carb I have is off a 1966 273 v8. Should work great. There is even a Mopar high performance manual for these slant 6's. That manual recommends using one of these carbs from a 1965 to 1967 273 v8 4bbl. It also gives recommendations for jet and rod changes.

You are spinning your wheels messing with an old carb off a 383, for a slant. Way over carbed.

Let me recommend a Holley 390 or Ede 500.

Buy used, and save a ton of money.

Good luck !

-
Back