Four post lift jack question

-

G-Fish

Reaction score
My dad has a 4 post lift with sliding air jack's. He will be 80 years old next year, and is having trouble pushing them to where he wants them.
We put some teflon pads on them, but they don't seem to help enough.
Have any of you solved this problem?

These are what, jacks that go onto the ramps of the 4 post? No idea, maybe add some handles, clamp on, etc, so he can get "more leverage?"

Mine was on slides when i got the jack, but wouldnt work on my hoist. I made extensions and used 4 6205 bearings mounted with 4 1/2 inch bolts.in 5 years i just replaced the bearings. The 1 ton diesel was a little much
For them.

Mine was on slides when i got the jack, but wouldnt work on my hoist. I made extensions and used 4 6205 bearings mounted with 4 1/2 inch bolts.in 5 years i just replaced the bearings. T wehe 1 ton diesel was a little much
For them.

Hmm...this what I am talking about.

How/where did you put the bearings?

download.jpeg

On the hoist I used to use when I was an alignment tech, the jacks ran on bearings, on top of the lip on that inside channel. There were guides on the jack to keep it from falling off and from twisting/jamming; it was pretty slick.
Go to 2:40

Last edited:
I have in the past, pulled the stop bolt, cleaned them out really well & sprayed silicon lube in the thick end of the arm.
That worked for months & this was a very old 2 post 4 arm lift. But this would also work especially well with what you have done. Unless theyre bent and causing some extra friction

Hmm...this what I am talking about.

How/where did you put the bearings?

View attachment 1715711128

That jack is in the wrong place. It should go into the channels directly below where it is. All of them I have seen have mounted roller bearings for wheels and they run in the channels below where that one is just sitting. No wonder it's tough to move. They are pretty heavy to start with.

That jack is in the wrong place. It should go into the channels directly below where it is. All of them I have seen have mounted roller bearings for wheels and they run in the channels below where that one is just sitting. No wonder it's tough to move. They are pretty heavy to start with.

Thanks but...that's exactly what it looks like.
The ramps on this one are smooth (not diamond plate like the picture), and the teflon has helped. It's just not enough any more.

Thanks but...that's exactly what it looks like.
The ramps on this one are smooth (not diamond plate like the picture), and the teflon has helped. It's just not enough any more.

I understand....completely. The jacks with the rollers are not REAL easy to move. Once moving it's better, but getting them started is a little bit of as chore. Good luck.

Most consumer lifts that have trolley jacks have them that ride on the deck surface.

Note also that they ride on the diamond plate.

Commercial lifts generally have jacks that ride in a channel or the lip of the channel.

That channel is not even present on the consumer lifts.

Seems like you could still design a roller or bearing to ride on the flange rather than the top but allow the top to make contact under stress.

Challenge is to keep the gap small to avoid bending the deck.

...or you could totally redesign the flange-way by installing/welding in U channel.....

-
Back