Frame Clearancing for Coil-Overs

-

stroker416

Destroyer of Legend at C/S Speed LLC
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey all. Waiting for the new front seats for the 68 barracuda so I can put the new cage in, so I thought I'd get some time in doing some clearance work on the front frame rails for the coil-overs.

When I originally mocked up the front suspension I had a slide clearance problem with the frame and springs when the front suspension was at full extension.

Unless she's a wheelstander or I'm jacking her up for some work I doubt the coils will have ever seen any full droop action. But when I was a kid I was a boy scout, and you know what they say.
Here's some pics of the unfinished product on the passenger side. I've still got one more plate to make on this side for the opening between the angles plate and the top of the bump stop.

This setup gives me almost an eigth of an inch when she's hanging.

A big part of what you see also was do to the fact that the section where my upper control arm mounts was welded to the frame was rotting out. I removed the bad metal and welded in some 1/8" steel to solve the problem.
The most stress that area should see is while corning, so I the end I may tie the insides of the mounts into the cage if I've got the room in the engine compartment.

Heres some pics of getting is started, more to come when I get it done later tonight....

b1.jpg

b3.jpg

b4.jpg

b2.jpg

b5.jpg

b6.jpg

b7.jpg

-
Back