Frame connector issue

-

super70bird

Reaction score
On my 74 Duster driver's side, there's a large "bump" in the tbar crossmember (see pic), about right where the front of a connector should be placed. I'm planning to do the BBD 2x3 setup but am unsure of how to handle the front here. Anyone have pics of what they've done? Is this typical of later (73-up) cars or just mine? I guess I could grind the whole thing off since I'd be welding on a new plate anyway, but if there's a better way please let me know.

Thanks,
Super70bird

PC020013.jpg

Is the tab part of the connector going to be where the hump is? If yes I would bend that side up enough to clear, weld the other side in place and form the other side either by welding a small section at a time and hammer it down or heat it with a torch and shape it in place with a hammer, then weld it. I wouldn't grind that hump off. That's how I'd deal with it.

cut the hump down near the floor, slit it down the middle vertically, hammer flat and weld it up.

Found some pics on BBD where someone had to deal with this, notched the connector to clear the bump:

1.jpg

2.jpg

My 72 Scamp has that same bump i just modified my frame-connector a little to make it fit around the bump.
I'll post a pic. as soon as i get chance.

My 72 Scamp has that same bump i just modified my frame-connector a little to make it fit around the bump.
I'll post a pic. as soon as i get chance.

Got it done (finally) - just notched the connector, built it up with the mig and then ground it down to fit around the hump. Fits nice.

P3080005.JPG

P3080006.JPG

-
Back