Frame connectors on a rotisserie car?

-

sammie

Reaction score
I think I know the answer? I have my car "69 fastback" on the rotisserie and I would love to weild in frame connectors in now while its on there.has anyone done this with good results?Or does it have to be on its wheels?I hate like hell to throw the car back together to install the sfc's.only to take it all back apart to finish restoring the car.Any advise????

I would do it with the doors on the car. If you need to "spread" or "taco" the shell for door fit do that first and weld a temporary brace across the door opening. Make sure you have the door openings exactly where you want them before reinforcing the unibody.

Yup, at the very least, make sure the doors fit.

And by fit, I mean bolt them on, adjust the gaps and make sure they open, close and latch correctly.

I'm confused why that would make a difference if the doors were on etc. I bought a 66 basket case convertible where the guy had installed the frame connectors, I'm pretty sure while it was on the rotisserrie. Should I be concerned??? Especially with a vert?

I'm confused why that would make a difference if the doors were on etc. I bought a 66 basket case convertible where the guy had installed the frame connectors, I'm pretty sure while it was on the rotisserrie. Should I be concerned??? Especially with a vert?

I would be.

I would be.

I'm curious to hear why you would be concerned and any way to check the work was done properly. Your response of "I would be" lacks definition.
Everything seems to fit up and sit fine but if you have anything other than "I would be" I'd love to hear it????

I'm curious to hear why you would be concerned and any way to check the work was done properly. Your response of "I would be" lacks definition.
Everything seems to fit up and sit fine but if you have anything other than "I would be" I'd love to hear it????

If things fit fine, you are fine.

I did it on a rotisserie with no problems I welded them when the car was on its side and took lots of measurments to be sure it was straight, flipped it 180 and did the other!! It was a little scary but it turned out great!

im putting subframe connectors on a 72 dart project now that its a bare shell .......if you look at how the factory assembled the body they used a jig that cradled the body by the rockers and as it came down the assembly line they welded panels on ......if subframe connectors would have come factory...they would have done it in the begining as they welded all the other panels on.

it shouldnt matter if your doors are on or off, if your car is flexing so much that the doors wont fit right if not put on first then you have much bigger problems than sub frame connectors can fix anyway....and thats why the doors have such a big adjustment range

i am putting jack stands on the rockers and adding subframe connectors to a bare shell.

these cars all have a tolerance anyway .....and thats an insurance policy.

Thank you Rani. The body fits up good so I'm not sweating it. But, If there is a way to check the work previously done, I'd appreciate it.
Jim

Attachments

• image.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 313
I would be.

As I would be also, K frame an hang doors first

I appreciate that, but I'm still confused??

confused, I understand :coffee2: But remember, theses cars are formed buy
the body between two separate frames and there is body flex :glasses7:
I would load the chassis and drive it and then do the frame connecting :blob:

Just me because I know that a unipod built car will flex as it is rotated from the two ends, Put the suspension in it and let it feel and carry all 4 corners . Me OP.

As I would be also, K frame an hang doors first

confused, I understand :coffee2: But remember, theses cars are formed buy
the body between two separate frames and there is body flex :glasses7:
I would load the chassis and drive it and then do the frame connecting :blob:

Just me because I know that a unipod built car will flex as it is rotated from the two ends, Put the suspension in it and let it feel and carry all 4 corners . Me OP.

Thanks MeMike.
That makes sense and I appreciate. That being said????? I will contact the guy that I got it from and ask how he did it. I guess it makes sense to have it loaded up prior to putting them in. Like I said, the guy has been around the block so I'm pretty sure whatever he did, it's done right. Trust but verify!

Experience pyrojim :cheers::cheers::cheers:
I have never had a car on a rotisserie :sign3: but I get worried just
about K frame fit, and doors and if the car that is old:glasses7: it could be reset and take the sage (if it had any) out. Good looking Job Jim :cheers:

My car had some sag without the connectors and the drivers door stuck a little bit. I noticed that the doors closed perfectly when I had it on four jack stands under the frame rails. That is how I set it up to weld in my connectors. I can close my doors with one finger now.

I did mine on the rotisserie and didn't have a problem, but I had a solid frame and great rocker panel re-inforcement on the convertible and torque boxes. if I had a hard top (a whole lot less bracing except for the top roof metal)I would have thought 2 or 3 times before I welded it in on the rotisserie. I learned the hard way when I did my friends 65 Satellite and had it on jack stands to level it. when we put it down you could see it sat crooked. I redid it by putting it on jack stands under each wheel location, ball joint and rear axle pads. that fixed the twist it picked up by not having it on correctly the first time.

Done correctly- you will love the connectors.

I would like some that allow me sude exit exhaust under thr rear rocker area. Also with do it will weight on all for tires at ride heitht,

I did it on a rotisserie with no problems I welded them when the car was on its side and took lots of measurments to be sure it was straight, flipped it 180 and did the other!! It was a little scary but it turned out great!

Thats what I was thinking!If its on its side!!Im leaning that way myself,was hoping to hear someone who has tried it.Thanks for the reply.

-
Back