Frame repair w/saf-t-cap

-

LS-300

Reaction score
I have a problem with my 68 Barracuda. The rear torsion mount on the drivers side. Rust has come and the mount has gone. Looking at the rest of the frame up front it looks OK but who knows. I'm thinking of using the Saf-T-Cap pieces to at least fix the mount but am thinking of doing the entire front on both sides. Would this be a waste of $$$ or a good idea as it is a 40 year old set-up. Also has anyone here used these and what it involved? Surface prep, paint, weld then paint again? Long winded I know but I'm trying to get everything in line for a spring start and with it being cold I can spend more time at the computer than in the garage.

What has nobody out there used these? Good things or bad? Hard to work with? Anybody?

I have a problem with my 68 Barracuda. The rear torsion mount on the drivers side. Rust has come and the mount has gone. Looking at the rest of the frame up front it looks OK but who knows. I'm thinking of using the Saf-T-Cap pieces to at least fix the mount but am thinking of doing the entire front on both sides. Would this be a waste of $$$ or a good idea as it is a 40 year old set-up. Also has anyone here used these and what it involved? Surface prep, paint, weld then paint again? Long winded I know but I'm trying to get everything in line for a spring start and with it being cold I can spend more time at the computer than in the garage.
I used the ones from year one on my car,,,you can see them a bit in the pics in the members restoration page under "my currant beater". word to the wise tho. The ones from year one look like they were welded together by a half blind monkey, I had to cut them completely apart and then weld them back together. I also narrowed them up a bit and used them as a complete repair instead of a cap,, I had nothing left to cap over. The holes where all in the right places tho. If I had to do it again I would just make them from scratch with 10 gauge steel and use the tranny mount as the hole guide and measure in the torsion hole, this would save money and the time to fix the crap welds on year ones stuff ( I was told they where out sourced from safe-t-cap when I called to complain) anyways,,,that was my experience hope it helps,,,feel free to ask more questions if you want. Mine is a duster but I dont think there wasnt a spot on that damn car that I never cut apart and fixed.

i got one for ya! i bought a cap from the paddock and by the way all the caps are made by auto rust tech. any way the cap i got looked like s@#t!!!! i could have done a better job by cutting up an old hood for scrap and welding that in place!!!!! word to the wise if you want it right look for a good doner car that way its a right fit and looks factory correct if you need it to!

I had the same issue on a car. You're better off finding the whole crossmember from a donor car as mentioned. If one side is gone, it won't be long for the other side to go too.

-
Back