Freds 73 Scamp restore on a budget

-
Me to! I could always make a motor wind up. Mostly 340s and tune right. I put a 440 in my 69 dart and it was a lesson. Especially with 11" clutch and bell n tti exhaust. Y got to make it all work. Then its complete!

They all have an individual beauty to them. Just being old. Guess that ele musk truck will be a relic someday. Ha ha. Envy to all that even attempts it anymore. If the young generation loses interest then the cars might lose value too. Christ, what is a parent suppose to do? Build a mopar on PlayStation? Just wanted to say. You got a great car there and hope to see a video if you get to post that. Lol. Damned if i ever figure out to do that. Lol!

They all have an individual beauty to them. Just being old. Guess that ele musk truck will be a relic someday. Ha ha. Envy to all that even attempts it anymore. If the young generation loses interest then the cars might lose value too. Christ, what is a parent suppose to do? Build a mopar on PlayStation? Just wanted to say. You got a great car there and hope to see a video if you get to post that. Lol. Damned if i ever figure out to do that. Lol!
Yea not sure if you can. Been sharing emails with some guys and sending things back an forth.

You are still the master Fred! She looks great. Glad to see you back on her. This weather breaks I will take another putt up your way and drink all your whiskey! Hemi says hi!
Always welcome here John Get the Harley out throw Hemi on the back and come on over.

20200418_161107.jpg
Put the front filler panel in and threw the grill in the whole to get an idea how to paint it. I'll polish the aluminum and I think do the rest in black. Was thinking of the front bumper doing something different, I never liked the front bumper so gonna take some time to figure out what to do with it.

20200419_140238.jpg
Deck lid is on still have to do a little adjusting but new weather strip installed and have to break it in for a few days.
Ordered the new flexible tranny cooling lines today and hoping to get the front and rear glass rubber ordered next week. Should be on the road next month but not putting any interior in it till I drive it around a bit and make sure I have no water leaks,rattles or wind noise.
Not that I can here a thing without hearing aids but will have someone in the car that can hear. lol

20200419_220301.jpg
Started putting in some of the interior in and I recovered the sun roof head liner and never gave it a thought about the tolerances of the roll up sun roof. had to trim it to get it in, was a tight fit.

20200419_220242.jpg
Another thing I screwed up was when I put the fuse block in the glove box I didn't make enough room to close or open the glove box door. Fixed it but takes time.

Filled the radiator the other day and found out today that the thermostat gasket is leaking so gotta fix that real soon. But drained the coolant down so it stopped leaking.
Sure wish some days I could walk on water and make everything perfect but I guess it takes the fun out of restoring a car.
I sure hope I didn't screw up on any other stuff. lol

20200422_155404.jpg
20200422_155420.jpg
20200422_155848.jpg
Front bumper on and in the middle of adjusting fenders and hood before I paint the hood. Right side front is still a little wide on the gap.

20200422_161513.jpg
For those of you that don't know here is a thing that I do when fitting parts, as you can see I drilled a small hole in the hinge and hood after it's aligned and when I paint the hood and put it back on the car I put a pin in the hole and it sets it so no guess work on adjusting the hood and less chance of scratching it.

I guess I could get over on my build thread and update it a bit. I just finished up repairing the big dent I put in my hood That I put in it like a week after I painted it.

I guess I could get over on my build thread and update it a bit. I just finished up repairing the big dent I put in my hood That I put in it like a week after I painted it.
Yea up date would be nice and some more pictures.
Would be nice not to scratch and dent our cars did my fair share for sure.

And by the way, That paint job doesn't look like an amateur job. I think you need to come clean and fess up.:lol:
Maybe you should come and take a closer look I only take pictures of it in the right light.:D

Maybe you should come and take a closer look I only take pictures of it in the right light.:D
Great project ! The car looks like it's in good hands ! Questions - Was that a small block car when you were driving it around for 5 years ? Also did you leave that driveshaft loop installed under the car ? Nice paint looks slick down the side , hard to do lol. $1000 / gallon though? I know paint's getting expensive. Great job on the car what I looked through. Maybe some fiberglass to fill the gap on the hood or some aluminized filler ? The hood still isn't painted.

Great project ! The car looks like it's in good hands ! Questions - Was that a small block car when you were driving it around for 5 years ? Also did you leave that driveshaft loop installed under the car ? Nice paint looks slick down the side , hard to do lol. $1000 / gallon though? I know paint's getting expensive. Great job on the car what I looked through. Maybe some fiberglass to fill the gap on the hood or some aluminized filler ? The hood still isn't painted.
It had a 71 340 in it when I got it was factory with a 318.
Yep drive shaft loop I put it back in.
Not gonna mess with filler on the edges I got it real close now and I'm happy with it.
Not perfect but looks good from a few feet away.
Hood is getting painted next and the last thing to paint.

What was that paint? Basecoat - Clearcoat urethane ? Metallic ? What color ? I didn't read the whole thread. :steering:

What was that paint? Basecoat - Clearcoat urethane ? Metallic ? What color ? I didn't read the whole thread. :steering:
PPG base clear the clear is the 4000. Color is a new GM color Limited Addiction red not a tri coat so I can repaint a panel with out blending in to the next panel. Real easy to match the paint that's why I picked it. Turns more red in the sunlight.
20190711_174508.jpg

-
Back