Freeze plug leak????

-

My*65*Dart

Reaction score
I have a 1963 Dodge panel truck with a '86 318, 4 barrel that came out of a cop car and it is leaking anti freeze from what appears to be a 3/4" galley way that goes straight up into the block above the starter? Where does this go? Is one of the rear freeze plugs blown behind the bell housing(auto trans) and leaking out here? Any info would be great before I pull the engine. thanks.

you sure it ain't a core plug behind the starter? it seems if it was one on the back of the motor it would leak at the dust cover at the bottom of the bell housing.

I have a '87 Dodge pickup that has the same hole over the starter. It has no plug in it and it doesn't leak (I drive the truck all the time). I thought someone on here would know what that galley over the starter is for and why I'm leaking coolant out of it.

It is a locating hole. I use it on my k-member stand to hold the block when there is no trans mounted. If you look at the one pic you will see there is a core plug above it behind the trans. That is where the coolant would be coming from

Attachments

• 44416[2].jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 103
  • 44428[1].jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 120
  • DSCF0011[1].jpg
    57 KB · Views: 105
  • 546323[1].jpg
    69 KB · Views: 110
-
Back