Freeze Plug Question

-

My*65*Dart

Reaction score
Why is it that in all the brass freeze plug sets that I have seen, the two that go on the back of the block by the bell housing are still made of steel and not brass?

I believe the steel welch plug in the back needs to be made of steel due to the way it is retained, by a smack with a hammer (domed side facing out). Brass may be too soft. The other common types are called "cup style".

Why is it that in all the brass freeze plug sets that I have seen, the two that go on the back of the block by the bell housing are still made of steel and not brass?
Actually a really good question. ....

Jeff

Part number 830007 from Pioneer is all brass expect the really small pair that goes behind the cam thrust plate, the threaded plugs, and the rear cam plugs. Also, this one comes with both styles of rear cam plug. These brass plugs are not quite as deep as the typical steel plugs, but they work nicely for me. Note: I always use a small amount of sealer on them as well, for both steel or brass styles.

No practical advantage to brass anyway unless you plan on running without any antifreeze or rust inhibitor for 100,000 miles. I never have used brass plugs in anything during the last 50 years... why pay more for something that won't make any difference?

Unless you have coolant / water in the camshaft cavity, brass cup plugs would have no advantage over steel. Brass cup plugs are offered for use where coolant / water is in contact with the cup plug as brass has superior corrosion resistance when compared to steel.
Also the water jacket cup plugs are not ‘freeze plugs’. Those side water jacket openings allow the foundry to drain out the core sand required in the casting process and also to position the sand cores in the casting mold.

Last edited:
Just came accross Federal Mogul part number 381-8010 while cleaning my roller cart. It also has all brass except the threaded plugs and the rear cam plug, but only has the curved style steel rear cam plug. Also, the brass plugs in this Federal Mogul set are deeper than the Pioneer set. Federal Mogul set says made in USA on the package too.

No practical advantage to brass anyway unless you plan on running without any antifreeze or rust inhibitor for 100,000 miles. I never have used brass plugs in anything during the last 50 years... why pay more for something that won't make any difference?
Brass looks really cool tho!

-
Back