Freeze plug repair

-

mrs49

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 66 Barracuda 273/904, seems like I've got antifreeze weeping from the bell housing and I can tell that I'm loosing antifreeze. My question is can I put in new freeze plugs by only pulling the transmission. thanks mrs49

If by "only pulling the transmission" you're including the torque convertor, then yes. Convertor and probably flexplate will need to come off.

Yes you can. However, I would recommend pulling it all, separating the engine out of the car and replacing them all. If one or two are bad, chances are they all are weeping or close to it.

Yes you can. However, I would recommend pulling it all, separating the engine out of the car and replacing them all. If one or two are bad, chances are they all are weeping or close to it.
Yes, plus it is easy to misinterpret just where the leak is coming from if you're only looking from the bottom of the car. There are freeze plugs in the back of the heads, too. Rebuilt an engine once and didn't think about replacing the heads' freeze plugs, and of course one leaked once the engine got up to temp. Decided it was easier to pull the whole motor than try removing just one head and also that all the freeze plugs in both heads probably needed replacing anyway.

If you have one seeping the others probably aren't far behind.

Also, it's a great idea to use brass freeze plugs, as they will never rust out.

I have a 66 Barracuda 273/904, seems like I've got antifreeze weeping from the bell housing and I can tell that I'm loosing antifreeze. My question is can I put in new freeze plugs by only pulling the transmission. thanks mrs49
I think that it's a good idea to replace all of the freeze plugs as if 1 or 2 are leaking the rest are not to far behind. I'm a believer in Murray's law. Brass freeze plugs are the way to go

-
Back