Freeze plugs starting to go...273 V8

-

gossame1

Reaction score
Hello Gang,

I have a question for the group. As most of the members here know, I have an old '68 Plymouth Valiant with a 273 V8. A few months ago, I had the car in the shop to diagnose another antifreeze leak. I had the radiator replaced recently and the radiator itself is fine. The mechanic had said that the 'freeze plugs' are starting to go in the engine block. How hard are these plugs to replace and where can I obtain the replacement plugs? I'm hoping that this is not the end of the engine or the car...The mechanic had said that some of the plugs are easy to get to, but apparently the trans has to be dropped to reach one of the plugs on the back of the engine. It sounds like a costly operation...

Could something be poured in to seal the plugs (like Stop leak, that is used for radiator leaks?) Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely yours,

Brian T. Carotenuto

I had one leak on my 66 Dart with HP273. I tried the stop leak trick as a temporary fix but the leak came back. I replaced the plug and flushed the heck out of the block when the plug was out. The outside of the plug looked like new but the backside was rusted through. I also took the block drain
out of the other side and dug the sludge out of that side also. I would
reccomend you pull the engine and replace them all. The engines in the
earlier Mopars are pretty easy to pull and the job would be done right. It would be money well spent. Mike

toolmanmike said:
I had one leak on my 66 Dart with HP273. I tried the stop leak trick as a temporary fix but the leak came back. I replaced the plug and flushed the heck out of the block when the plug was out. The outside of the plug looked like new but the backside was rusted through. I also took the block drain
out of the other side and dug the sludge out of that side also. I would
reccomend you pull the engine and replace them all. The engines in the
earlier Mopars are pretty easy to pull and the job would be done right. It would be money well spent. Mike
After workin 18 years in a chrysler dealership as a mechanic I strongly request that you pull the engine and replace all the frost plugs. There two at the back of the block between the engine and transmission as well as the ones on the side. Don't forget that there are also some in the cylinder heads at the back. I have seen where people have replaced the frost plugs and knocked the old ones inside the engine and left them there. This causes cylinder hot spots. Better to be safe than sorry.
kenny b

Sure you got to pull the engine out and replace this plugs!!Like Kenny said ,IS BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY!!!Once you pull the engine ,go check if theres any other things to be done with engine out.

The Dart-Nº3,5.jpg

We just did all the plugs on our 69 340. Stop leak probably won't stop any of it because there will be a lot of sludge behind some of the plugs. We went to an engine machine shop here to get freeze plugs (because the parts place didn't have those sizes), and they talked us into the brass ones. I think I saw a better deal on a brass set for Mopars on ebay. The motor is easy to remove & install, but it will cost a lot if you farm it out.

-
Back