Fresh air breather

-

memike

Super Moderator
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a Offenhouser breather from a speed boat, and would like to use it on my 170/ in my 66 Valiant "Victoria" , And run a fresh air tube from a tub style filter up front by my battery for fresh cool air.
It is aluminum and like my intake a Offenhauser.:-D
This will be another part for CudaChick1968 "Leanna":happy10:
PHOENIX SPECIALTY COATINGS can do the same color *** my intake.
I may have to send it to ramcharger to build me a tub to raise it a couple inches to fit my 390 holly or am I just spinning my wheels here, because the
holley carb opening is 5'' and the Offey breather is 4 1/4''.

A 2'' adapter would have to be made to raise it up off the carb.

??8)

storm 185.jpg

storm 186.jpg

cook%20and%20fish%20908.jpg

storm 187.jpg

storm 188.jpg

storm 190.jpg

If you cut the air horn off the carb (loose the choke) and blend into the runners then open the hole up on the breather intake would it work then?

No filter Mike ?

I like the piece, but best performance would be from a 14" open element air-cleaner.

No filter Mike ?

I like the piece, but best performance would be from a 14" open element air-cleaner.

That hump you see in the bottom of the breather suppose to make the air swirl down in the carb. It might be a benefit.

That hump you see in the bottom of the breather suppose to make the air swirl down in the carb. It might be a benefit.

Still there is no filter ?

Or did these sit on top of a filter ?

I'v tried every filter combo imaginable on a slant, including a fresh air with a tube to grille. 14" element works the best, performance wise.

I would rather not cut the air horn off of this carb, I am hoping I can find or have an adapter made, if it can be dun. The breather came off an old inboard 326 Pontiac marine motor.
I better go outside and make sure the breather will not hit my hood.

Still there is no filter ?

Or did these sit on top of a filter ?

I'v tried every filter combo imaginable on a slant, including a fresh air with a tube to grille. 14" element works the best, performance wise.

I would run a air tube to a filter by my battery.

Still trying to figure out if they ran an air-clener with this scoop. Do you know?

You could put a filter on the end of the air tube that you're running by hte battery. Kind of like a lot of the newer engines. A cone shaped K&N kind of like the imports have on their CAI's. Widen the hole on the breather so it's the same size as the carb, and use a 2 or 3" spacer. Maybe you could cut the bottom out of an old aluminum saucepan if you could find one the right diameter. Ok, kinda ghetto, but look around, and I'm sure something could be improvised.

You could put a filter on the end of the air tube that you're running by hte battery. Kind of like a lot of the newer engines. A cone shaped K&N kind of like the imports have on their CAI's. Widen the hole on the breather so it's the same size as the carb, and use a 2 or 3" spacer. Maybe you could cut the bottom out of an old aluminum saucepan if you could find one the right diameter. Ok, kinda ghetto, but look around, and I'm sure something could be improvised.

I agree, Something like a velocity stack and cut it down to 2''
I still need to measure and make sure it will not hit my hood after I raise it 2''.
Thanks for all your thoughts on this.:happy10:

Mike,

A little off subject, but what is your direction with Victoria ?

Hey Mike, let me swirl this around in my head for a bit. I wish I had a mill, I could make you something really sweet out of billet aluminum.

Still, let me think about it, I may be able to come up something.

Here's a suggestion that's off-the-wall. The best way I've found to get custom adapters and the like is to hit your larger hardware stores and check the plumbing section...there should be a DVW pipe size that'll fit right w/ a gasket on each end, and since it's plastic, you can cut/shape it easy. not pretty, but it'll be mostly hidden.

I would go to an iron supplier and see if the had any aluminium pipe that would fit tight over the carb. I good welder should be able to "pinch" the the other end down. I know there is a word for doind that but I can't think of it.

I think the word would be 'swage'...not a bad idea...also, a good source for aluminum...those cheap kitchen storage canisters...

Ya'll go ahead and debate performance issues all you want (all I've ever owned were V8s so I can't help with a slanty discussion), but I'm just going to sit here and admire that cool old breather. I don't have a section for boat parts on my website yet. LOL!

Memike, what do you think about the Offy lettering in that same Manhattan Blue to match the adapter plate? Would be a challenge but might look really cool too. Especially if Victoria gets a new blue dress someday.

A thought from the cheapseats. Get an aftermarket air cleaner assembly and take just the bottom piece and do some trimming and bending to get the right contour and fasten it to the offy piece you have there. Since the piece has a smaller hole that you are working with some trimming will be needed but if you did that and ran a air filter base your mounting issues would be done. You could do rivets, screws, or perhaps have someone that welds get it done that way as you would want someone with experience doing this. I dont know about a filter but something may pop in my head and I will drop that idea on you.
On that part you have what exactly did that come from if you dont mind me asking? I have about 10,000 lakes just to the north of my state and may have to stop by some repair places and see if I can find one for my slant mods. Thanks.
Chas.

Chaz, it's still listed in the Offy catalog. Assuming they've still got the masters on hand, and if you can get enough people interested (20 paying customers), Offy will do a casting run of it.

Wow :tongue9: I really like the ideas I am reading:rock:=D>

My Napa man let me search around in the back and I found a part in a bin and has been there a couple years and charged me $4.70 for it then I came home and talked 66aCUDA what to build for me. I am pumped to have this great
/ man do a set up for me :king:

Here is what I have been cutting on and got started so I can use the fresh air breather system I want to do. Its not dun yet but I think it will work.

Leanna will make this great old Offy look great.:thumbrig::happy2:

I think it is for a throttle body.

Daytona 500 478.jpg

Daytona 500 477.jpg

Daytona 500 475.jpg

Daytona 500 474.jpg

Daytona 500 473.jpg

Wow :tongue9: I really like the ideas I am reading:rock:=D>

My Napa man let me search around in the back and I found a part in a bin and has been there a couple years and charged me $4.70 for it then I came home and talked 66aCUDA what to build for me. I am pumped to have this great
/ man do a set up for me :king:

Here is what I have been cutting on and got started so I can use the fresh air breather system I want to do. Its not dun yet but I think it will work.

Leanna will make this great old Offy look great.:thumbrig::happy2:

I think it is for a throttle body.

That'll work! You did good Mike!

Mike,

A little off subject, but what is your direction with Victoria ?

Show and driver with a bumped up HP on the low deck 170/ .
I have a good fender to hang and then paint it the correct factory color and
drive to shows and make a few passes at the track for fun.
The sedan with the skinny factory 13'' tires and wheels and three on the tree is very light so I am going to keep the HP below 200 and enjoy it all gold and loss the white top I think. :-D

-
Back