fresh air intake

-

63dartman

Reaction score
I've seen some pics of a few cars that have a "home made" fresh air intake. What are the advantages of drawing in the air from outside the engine bay? Is this mod worth the effort? I am asking since the early-a seems to have a small bay with a v-8.

Also would it be better to have it at the front so the air is "pushed" in or somewhere where it willl see less turbulence?

G/day as pictured after fitting the intake hoses to behind the grill I have picked up 2/10ths and couple of mph so in my opinion its worth it .

MVC-004F.JPG

Thanks A360, This may be something I try since I live in New Mexico and run in hot weather most of the time. Any ideas where to get a dual snorkel filter housing like yours?

The advantage is a cooler air charge which will help against detonation. Denser air so you can richen your carb a little = more power. And for the guys in the north like me if you want to make ice in your carb it is good for that too.

It's all good.

Chuck

Cold Air Intake and pack ice on top of the manifold between races.

I do it at the track with my 300C HEMI

th_AvonCustomWheelsChasbEngineCompa-5.jpg
th_AvonCustomWheelsChasbEngineCompa-4.jpg
th_AvonCustomWheelsChasbEngineCompa-3.jpg
th_AvonCustomWheelsChasbEngineCompa-2.jpg
th_AvonCustomWheelsChasbEngineCompa-1.jpg

So you are one of those guys that drop water on the track that us pro and super pro guys have to deal with. Save the ice for the beer.

On a hood scoop issue, I couldn't tell you one is better than the other.The scoops with the opening in the front are old school hoods that when set up right, and theres the key words, do very well. I noticed in the truck series and some drag cars, they will use a raised hood scoop that takes the pressure off the windsheild. Cowl induction.
The cold sir box above is also something Mopar did on he little red truck I believe.

The underhood air is very hot. So anyway you can deliver cooler air into the engine is a good thing.

340mopar said:
So you are one of those guys that drop water on the track that us pro and super pro guys have to deal with. Save the ice for the beer.

NOPE

The ice is long gone before we hit the christmas tree

Thank you everyone, for the replies and info. I just don't understand why this mod isn't more popular since it's a win-win situation. I am definately adding this to my"list".

-
Back