Fried time delay relay?

-

unclepunchy

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

73 Duster, 4 spd.

I think my time delay unit is fried? My dome light won’t go off unless I unhook the battery. I also unhooked both door switches and still the same. I can’t tell if the two tabs on the delay are supposed to be touching or connected?

9A29B1CE-E93F-409B-A8AA-634C9067E548.jpeg

I believe there is a diode / resistor that goes between those flat plates. Looks like the wire is there but missing the ceramic part that connects them.

If the TD is the cause, then unplugging it should kill the dome lamp.

looks like a bimetallic contactor: it contacts, gets hot, bends open, cools and repeats. try bending the contact so it touches by default. looks to be missing the points?
1691264912360.png

Last edited:
That's all it is. Difference between it an the instrument limiter or a flasher is, the heater winding is separate, and stays energized at all times the key is on, to keep it open

Tried connecting the posts together. No dice
Tried installing new door jam switches. No dice
Tried pulling out the time delay. No dice
Rolled the car off a cliff and set it on fire. Dome light still on

Is there a way I can just delete all this **** from the fuse box? Like dome, glove box, ashtray lights, etc.

On the later cars isn't there some circuit board that controls things?

Maybe that is the issue

OR...

you actually have some fried wires keeping the dome lights on.

There also might be a relay that the timer runs that is stuck.

You need to get a wiring diagram and start tracing the cur out

I've never had a car where I had to work through all this. Do you have a map light switch? have you disconnected the door switches? How about the dome switch on the headlight switch? Generally, the dome circuit is completed by grounding yellow wire. If that wire is bare/ shorted, etc somewhere, it can have the same effect

I’ve got a wiring diagram and will start tracing things tomorrow and see what madness that leads to. The yellow wire must be shorting out somewhere.

Generally, the dome circuit is completed by grounding yellow wire
You know I'm not sure anyone thought about the simplest thing.

Is the headlight switch turned to the right enough to turn off the interior lights???

-
Back