Friends that you had to let go.

-
He's nearly 40 years old and talks to his mother like this? (you're right, that's pathetic)
Last time I said something cruel to my mom I was maybe 16, and drunk. Got a wooden spoon broken over my head ! If my dad was still around he would have killed me.

After cutting ties with a couple of "friends" over the years, I've wondered if I was exhibiting some type of self-sabotage.
Was I trying to distance myself from people from some reason?
In a way, I guess but it wasn't to hurt my own interests. It was to preserve my sanity.
Some people are overly negative, abrasive, needy and corrosive.
The guys that only call when they need something are guys that I can do without.
The ones that don't understand that a conversation means that ALL PARTICIPANTS GET TO SPEAK are dudes that I won't miss.

After cutting ties with a couple of "friends" over the years, I've wondered if I was exhibiting some type of self-sabotage.
Was I trying to distance myself from people from some reason?
In a way, I guess but it wasn't to hurt my own interests. It was to preserve my sanity.
Some people are overly negative, abrasive, needy and corrosive.
The guys that only call when they need something are guys that I can do without.
The ones that don't understand that a conversation means that ALL PARTICIPANTS GET TO SPEAK are dudes that I won't miss.
What you were exhibiting is not necessarily self sabotage, I would think its self awareness. A trait that seems to be lost on some people, unfortunately.
Like the folks that dominate a conversation. They're either not aware they're doing it or don't care. Sad either way.
I know for a fact that people have cut me loose. Same as I've had to do it to others to preserve my sanity.
Sometimes we just don't gibe with others. And that's okay.
I'm happy that I'm aware and try to learn from it. All you can do really.
Be the best dude/gal you know how to be and let the pieces fall where they may......

I've basically let go all of my friends at those point. Most of them I met through playing music. If you're a musician you probably know drinking is pretty common. At least with the genre I played. After my younger brother passed, I gave up drinking. Most of my friends were drunks. I couldn't take being around it anymore.

I'm 45, married with 4 kids. Most of my friends are in their early 40s, single, no kids, no responsibility. Once I stopped drinking we had nothing to talk about.

That sucks, Adam.
I retired from construction last November and do miss the day to day camaraderie that I used to have with the guys. I don't think I'd hang out with any of them after work but while we were working together, it was a good time.
I get along so much better with car guys.
I sometimes wonder if I spend too much time doing car stuff. I just love it. When the wife introduces me to a friend of hers and her husband or boyfriend, I always expect the dude to NOT be interested in cars at all. Most of the time, I am right.

All I know is that my few friends are the greatest and smartest people.
As for myself all I know is ALL great men are dead... and I haven't been feeling that well myself, lately!
Go figure!

I was making a joke, friend. I often look at words and phrases in the strict literal sense.
You know....when someone says they held their breath for 5 minutes, I know it is not true.
When someone says they just took a piss, I don't think that they stole urine from another person....

When I was young I lost a friend over 15 bucks that I owed him.
He came to my house in between payday, times were lean back then so I didn't have it.
To make a long story short he was drunk and got verbally aggressive.
The end came moments later when I knocked his *** out.
Forward 40 years, I finally asked him if it was worth getting knocked out over 15 bucks that he was going to spend on booze and cigs. Our friendship is better than ever now.
After his 3 divorces over the years I'm the only friend he has best friends like we use to be. I'm watching for the left hook though.

In the late 60's, I had a good friend that I grew up with, he married just after high school and they had two children. Being young, (2 years younger than myself) he couldn't keep a job to save his butt. He started drinking, totaled his daily driver (only car he & his wife had). His Mom and Dad bought them a used car which he drove the wheels off of and never maintained it. He spent money needed for family on alcohol, finally his wife dumped him. He blamed her and everyone else for his divorce. He moved back to his parents house and seemed to get his act together, getting a job and buying himself a decent motorcycle. He then married his second wife and she was BAT S**T crazy. They spent every dime they both made drinking and running the bars. She finally got locked up for her SIXTH DWI, he divorced her and ran back to his Mom and Dad to sober up again. I bought a house in the neighborhood we grew up in (his parents lived in this same neighborhood). I was out working on one of the many cars that I had. I look up and who is standing in my garage, but my old friend, Come to find out, he'd gone off on a bender, wrecked his bike and had to have multiple surgeries to fix his shattered right leg. When he showed up at the house, he was on a cane having just been released by his doctor. We talked and he asked about what I was doing for a living. After I told him, he asked if there might be a spot for him as my helper. I talked to the guy is was contracting to and was told I could use him if I wished. He got hired on and he seemed to have a grip on himself and life in general, the kicker was he had no wheels so he road back and forth with me everyday. Things rocked along for the better part of two years, but as our work load increased, I was running two jobs on the opposite sides of the city. I drive to the job I had him working to drop him off, leave and go to the other job 2 hours away. One afternoon, I drove back to pick him up and the superintendent on the job came running out to my truck. He told me to get that "No good rotten drunk that worked for me off the job". I went to where my friend was last seen, lo and behold there are 10 to 12 beer cans strewn about and he is passed out on the floor. I finally get him outside of the job site and told him he was gone for drinking on the job. He asked how he was going to get home, I looked at him and told him to catch a cab, a bus or whatever that he was no longer welcome around me. His Mom and Dad came to me to plead his case, I told them that he was still the same old drunk he been for the last ten years and I was washing my hands of him. Fast forward to 2017, out of the blue I get a call from him. It seems he ran into my sister and she gave him my cell phone number. It seems that both of his parents had passed away, neither had a will and he wanted advice as to how to access their bank accounts and to get his parent's house transferred to his name. I asked him if he had contacted anyone for legal advice, which he said "they want up front money and I'm broke". I seems that he had continued drinking and screwing around until he could no longer hold a job. He was supposedly on disability and getting money that way. I did some leg work for him and indeed attorneys want substantial bucks to take on the case. I relayed the information, names and numbers I had gathered for him. It's not 2023 and I haven't heard JACK from him since I gave him the information.

Harsh reality:
Some people that we meet are just losers. They will always be losers no matter what we do for them.

Pappy Towner always said " People are like water. They will seek there own level." Maybe that's why I get along with honest, intelligent gear heads.

As I have aged, I have wanted to know gearheads that know more than I do simply so I can learn more.
Through my 20s to 40s, most guys I knew weren't as wild about cars as I was so they didn't have the same skill level.
I know a guy that had a car with a stroked 340 he built...and had to pull it out 3 times to fix stuff that was done poorly and led to failures.
In one trip to my place, he stopped 3 times for three different roadside repairs including a crank pulley falling off, a shifter that came loose and a power steering hose that shifted and got cut by the pulley.
I don't talk to him much anymore...he sold the car. He is too broke to buy another classic and most of what we had in common was car stuff.

I have no problem **** canning a friend.. and the length of time knowing them has no significance on my decision whatsoever.

I don’t suffer fools, so should a friend reveal that he is indeed a fool, I say “goodbye”. I ditched my good friend at the start of the covid scamdemic because he believed the BS that the CDC and Fauchi served. He was an experienced nurse and he ran drug trial studies. He should have known better than to swallow the BS.

I have a very small circle of people I consider true friends....very small circle. I feel like if you wouldn't help me hide a body than your not that good of friend. I have known this small circle for over 30 years. I had a friend that I grew up with, we were friends from Kindergarten all the way through High School. We partied our asses off back in the day along with other friends but, there comes a time to realign one's priorities and he has never been able to do that. We kinda went our separate ways. I will see him around once in a blue moon, we will nod or wave as we make eye contact but, that's about it. Over the summer I saw him at a cruise in and, just walked right by him. My wife kept telling me I should go say hi to him which, I refused at first. She kind of kept at it so, I walked over and chatted for a minute and we went our separate ways once again. There were other friends in that group that I cut loose also. It is what it is...

-
Back