Front A arm mounts and frame rust

-

68Cummins

Reaction score
I am discovering a design element that I dislike on this mopar suspension as compared to a GM.
Not only an I having a time to get the a arm bolts out of the bushings ( they are still winning) but I have found some substantial rust. The bottom of the inner a arm mounts to the frame is gone an the top of the frame rail has rusted through.
What have you all done to remove the bolts and repair the rust damage?

5A6C54D4-A974-49FD-A83D-0FF2EE781D50.jpeg

D91F58D6-AE7F-4934-8EA1-5D5597D9BB2F.jpeg

Did you loosen the tension on the torsion bars first?

That's some serious rustrepair to go through.

Did you loosen the tension on the torsion bars first?

That's some serious rustrepair to go through.
Yes the k member is out along with all related items, all that’s left is a arms.
Yes it is!
The car is real solid I was surprised and disappointed to see that rust.

Try lots of penetrating fluid and heat,WD40 is essentially worthless as a penetrating fluid. Worst case scenario, cut the bolts.

Get a new set of rails. Either replace the whole way back to the torsion bar cross member or cut them off behind that and section them. It is not uncommon to have this rust. Replacing the rail sounds daunting, but it really isn't too bad of a task.

I noticed that the passenger side A upper A arm mount of my 73 scamp is cracked/torn,Rather than start a new thread I thought it would be useful to talk about how to repair and strengthen the mounts Seeing as that is something we are both gonna have to do.Of course I should worry about all my other projects that are in front of the scamp,but something keeps drawing my focus to it..

The aftermarket does offer caps formed to weld onto frame rails in various places but this aint one of those places.
Not long ago a member posted that he had purchased reproductions of those upper arm mounts, complete with upper shock support, the whole thing. He found that it wasn't gonna be easy to weld them in on his frame rails. The mount has a plate extending down and welded to the inner side of the frame rail. Pretty much got to pull the engine for work space.
In my opinion, replacing the frame rail with upper arm mount is the best route.
As far as I know the only difference in them is at front bumper mounting. Either basic bracket mounted bumper type or shock mounted bumper type.

Chronic problem for the Abodies. I saved a decent pair of brackets from the crusher. You may need more frame then what's left on these..….

upload_2019-1-2_8-39-7.png

Thanks for the advise and guidance all, once I get the a arms off I will report back with just how much damage there is.

Second side is done time to start putting things back together. Will patch the rust damage to the inter fender sections I cut out, new seals in the engine, and Firm Feel stuff in the front suspension before it all goes back together.
The first pic is how much I cut out of the driver side rail.

EBC46A10-B4CC-4DB6-B9FA-8DE4F7DF0221.jpeg

FC3C5CDC-ECC8-4DF4-AD99-7CC0E6DBF90F.jpeg

Ready for a little white paint and it will look like nothing happened, well to the inner fender at least.

5E507123-92DA-4A6B-8439-78E4F083746C.jpeg

295E8CB4-F9D1-47FB-BD34-296452421CB4.jpeg

-
Back