Front axles swap 9" drum to 10"

-

Miszny

Reaction score
Hi

I need help of more experienced people with this as I have a feeling something is wrong with my front suspension.

My feeling is that the toe in changes on acceleration and braking.

I swapped front axles from 9" drum small axle to 10" drum axle. I was forced to do it because of my disc conversion kit that did not accept smaller axle. It also seemed to make sense as my car is a big block car now.

Is there anything more that I should replace to be able to keep correct geometry after such swap?

Please redirect me if this had already been discussed.

Thank you.

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender-2.jpg

Last edited:
Did you use the offset upper control arm bushings? The stock bias ply alignment specs don't work well with modern radial tires.

alignment-specifications.gif

Did you have the car re-aligned after the swap? That is a must.
Did you alter the ride height? A realignment is a must.
Bid you move the alignment cams or the strut rod? A realignment is a must.
Is your front end changing ride height excessively during braking and accelerating? You will need to fix that with heavier duty shocks and probably bigger T-bars.
If you are having trouble in the corners, you will need a anti-sway bar.
And don't forget the rear; if she's bouncing around, you will be needing upgrades there as well.

When the front end moves up and down, the camber changes because the Control arms are not the same length.
When the camber changes, so does the toe.
The greater the oscillation, the greater the toe-change.
This characteristic cannot be eliminated,only minimized. You may need a custom alignment by a long-time experienced tech.

Last edited:
Hi

The only problem I experience is toe in change. Especially on hard acceleration I feel it increased as the front lifts up. This makes the car harder to control. I jacked the car up by K member to observe this and it does not look good.

I can't complain about behaviour of front suspension at normal speeds, I did not expect it be too good at it anyway.

I had stiffer torsion bars installed and the front end is pretty stiff overall but this toe in change is annoying.
I was thinking if perhaps I should have changed something else with spindles swap and it happens because of this.

These are my settings:

IMG_7405.JPG

Also I did change the ride height so perhaps I will re align the front next week. I need to put the right tires on the back and set ride height after that.
I'm not expecting miracles here, never expected my Duster to corner like an F1 car ;-)
Just very light steering on hard acceleration makes me feel worried, thats all...

-
Back