Front Bench seat foam 69 Dart

-

Max Max Wedge

Reaction score
Does anyone make or resell front bench seat foam for a 69 Dart 2dr? What are you guys using?

Does anyone make or resell front bench seat foam for a 69 Dart 2dr? What are you guys using?

Bench seats get no respect when it comes to foam. I didn't see any when I reupholstered the seats in my 73 Dart last year. I bought a 4" thick block of foam that was long enough to fit across the springs and trimmed the edges to fit (electric carving knife works great). I got the foam at JoAnn Fabrics. If they had not had it, I was looking for companies that make boxes with foam liners, such as suppliers to the computer or aerospace industries.

The original foam that I retrieved from the seat was about 2 inches thick after about 36 years. The additional foam with the additional wrestling to get it to fit made the seat a little more firm, and more to my likeing. I like the results in terms of both form and function.

IMG_5614s.JPG

What color was the foam, was it a certain density?

I picked out something that was close to the original density. One block was mint green, the other was an off-white color. They had another block that was a light blue color. It's not real precise. What you don't want to do is to have a block that does not go all the way across the bench seat. Think foam rubber pillow as far as density is conerned. You don't want the really hard black stuff. It'll give you flat spots on your butt and saddle sores. (LOL)

2Darts-
You did one HELL of a nice job on that seat, sir.

George

Thanks, George.

I picked out something that was close to the original density. One block was mint green, the other was an off-white color. They had another block that was a light blue color. It's not real precise. What you don't want to do is to have a block that does not go all the way across the bench seat. Think foam rubber pillow as far as density is conerned. You don't want the really hard black stuff. It'll give you flat spots on your butt and saddle sores. (LOL)

Thanks for you advice

the 73 had 2" thick? that would explain why my 74 duster seat is so much more comfy than my 69 dart, the dart had about 3/4" foam over the springs. it was in good shape but i added 1/4 or 3/8" to it from the fabric store.

the 73 had 2" thick? that would explain why my 74 duster seat is so much more comfy than my 69 dart, the dart had about 3/4" foam over the springs. it was in good shape but i added 1/4 or 3/8" to it from the fabric store.

It's taken a while to research this. Unfortunately, I have a gap in my library that leaves me in the dark on the 69-71 models.

In the 66-68 models, extra foam in the front seat could be ordered for LL and VL cars. I could not find this in the 72-74 models. With that in mind, consider that my 72 LL had only upholstery over the foam and springs. My 73 LH had a small amount of padding in the pleats of the upholstery. It's almost like the foam layer found between the wooden inner door panel and the vinyl covering. It's not much but could make a difference. (I guess).

Front and rear HD seats were available, but I don't know what that does i.e. extra foam, stiffer springs, thicker coverings. The seats could be ordered separately, so they do not appear to be exclusive to the A37 taxi or A38 police packages where they are included.

-
Back