Front Brake Shoe Width 2.25" vs 2.56"?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Working on 10" front brakes 1965 Valiant Signet. The currently installed front brake shoes I measured are 2 1/4" wide.

I found listings online for this vehicle as follows: Raybestos 332PG @ 10" x 2.25" and Autozone Duralast 169 @ 10" x 2.56". Will the wider Duralast brake shoes fit? Thank you.

No they will rub the small bolt drum on the early cars. In 73 they had a finned drum that was small bolt . The wider shoes will work on them. One year only. 74 they were all Big bolt disc.

No they will rub the small bolt drum on the early cars. In 73 they had a finned drum that was small bolt . The wider shoes will work on them. One year only. 74 they were all Big bolt disc.
I know, I'm nit picking, but, just to clarify....In 1973, you could get 9", 10" and disc brakes. The 9" brakes in 1973 were unique. Starting in the '74 model year, the 9" brakes were discontinued. After that it was either 10" drum or disc. All the '73-6 A-bodies with drums have the small bolt pattern. All the '73-6 A-bodies with disc brakes have the large bolt pattern. The '73-6 A-body upper control arms were all the same regardless of which brakes it came with. There always seems to be a bit of confusion about that.

You may be correct on the years . I never had a 74-76 myself with 10 inch drums. I had two 73's. The spindles were different then the 72 and earlier.

Yup, upper ball joint and wheel bearing sizes were different than the earlier ones. The '60-72 9" spindles use the A1 and A4 bearings (Bower/BCA numbers) and the '73-6 spindles use an A2 and A17. Different grease seal too.

-
Back