front brakes locked up ??

-

duanecollins

Reaction score
Just restored a 1976 duster put all new pre- bent brake lines on it and new flex hoses all around and replaced one front caliper the pads and rotors were in great shape. Bled the brakes and now the two front wheels are locked up, tried removing the lines from the master cyl and they were still locked up and removed the flex line from the calipers and they remained locked up but pistons can be pushed back with a pry bar. Could the problem be the master cylinder ? it points toward the calipers but its both of them one brand new and one old ??

Any help would be great
Thanks

was there pressure in the lines when you broke them loose?

could your brake light switch be adjusted wrong actually holding the brakes on? have see it many times in the past.

seems like there pressure in the line. I don't have a wire hooked up to the brake light switch yet could that do it ? ? the block was on the car before and we pushed the car in the garage so not sure if could be wrong ?
Thanks

the wire has nothing to do it.. is the switch is pushed too far in it will push the brake pedal down enough to put the front brakes on.

worth a look.. could be an easy fix.. loosed the adjusting bolt ont he switch and see if it fixes it before digging into the system

ok will do for sure the two front brakes are stuck to the point where you can not budge them they are stuck solid. I haven't touched the switch but maybe it was struck or something.

Thanks

If the pistons can be pushed back from the pads and it's still locked it's not the brakes.
Better look closer at rotor to hub clearances and such.

ok will do for sure the two front brakes are stuck to the point where you can not budge them they are stuck solid. I haven't touched the switch but maybe it was struck or something.

Thanks

If it was the switch or any other fluid related issue, then loosening the lines would have freed it.

I had same problem as talked about in earlier post it was suggested the proportioning valve thinking that I replaced both caliper's before attempting the valve after replacing the
caliper's the front's worked great guess not sure why but maybe replace the old caliper

Guys..."removed the flex line from the calipers and they remained locked up but pistons can be pushed back with a pry bar"...how does this point to anything upstream of the caliper? your piston seals are the only things that retract the pistons from the rotor. I would remove the pistons and check if they are binding.

With the Pistons pushed back still won't spin? Please clarify. If so you have a mechanical interference like maybe you put the lower ball joint bolts in backward.

-
Back