Front caliper question????

-

swifter

Reaction score
Can someone give me feed back on the front caliper location on a A-body,When I restored my car i switched the spindles by mistake and my calipers are mounted on the back of the rotors instead of the front,I have no hose problems or interference with any of the front end components??? What's your input???? Thanks Steve

Which year? If the brake lines worked, they go to the back. Bleeders at the top? Good.

In your signature, you list a 70 Valiant-Duster for cars.
So if that's the car you are asking about, and have the Kelsey Hayes 4 piston disc brake set up, the brake calipers are mounted to the rear.
In that case, you mounted everything in the factory position.

Mine have been that way for years, the sway bar tab on my 67 are in the way for front mounting. They came both ways and on later lower control arms the tabs are in a different location. You can mount them either way and you'll have no problems

DRIVERS SIDE, CALIPER IS AT THE 1 o'clock position, NOT THE 11 o'clock position

I am the original pioneer of this system, back in 1992 using factory a-body parts

MOPAR CHARLIE

Thanks Guy's This site rocks!!!!! I'm installing a new wilwood system and will leave the spindles alone--Thanks Steve

DRIVERS SIDE, CALIPER IS AT THE 1 o'clock position, NOT THE 11 o'clock position

I am the original pioneer of this system, back in 1992 using factory a-body parts

MOPAR CHARLIE

Richard Ehrenburg published about this brake swap in about 1988/89.

I've had my calipers rear mounted since summer 1994.

and oldheads were doing it even before that. he made it popular by putting it in print.

I don't think he claimed to invent it. And I'm sure people had done it much before 1988/9.

I would think people were doing it in 1973 when the first LBP A-body setup came out.

I wouldn't be surprised if Drag Racers put B-body spindles on A-bodies in the 60's and just tightened up on the upper ball joints even with the taper misalignment. Mike Martin's book on Mopar Suspension talks about cutting the end off a B-body UCA and welding it to a A-body UCA.

-
Back