front drum brake stuck

-

38 Dodge

Reaction score
I just brought hime my new project and teh front wheel is stuck I remove the tire and the drum assy will not turn and I cannot get the drum off or move how or what should I do to get the drum I have sprayed PB Blaster and letting soak over night but if that don't work should I try and use heat to try and get it to free Up?

you need to back off the adjuster through the slot in the backing plate,
if you can get the other side off it will be easier to see how to do it
you have to turn the star wheel with something like a small screwdriver while holding the spring loaded piece that locks it in position away from it so it will turn

Did you back off the adjuster? It can be done with a flat head screwdriver but is best with a brake tool. Keep in mind that if the brakes have seen some use, there is probably a lip on the edge of the friction surface that will prevent the drum from pulling off easily. In fact, it probably shouldn't pull off easily. After loosening the adjuster, give it a couple decent raps with a hammer and it should start to come off.

I have backed the adjuster off but the car has been sitting for around twenty years and it froze it will not even turn teh whole hub is locked up

now that IS a problem.............thinking....................................
OK I would start by soaking it down with penetrating oil like WD-40,or liquid wrench, you are not going to reuse the brake shoes so no concern about contaminating anything next get some leverage to turn it like a long heavy bar bolted to the hub with the lug nuts and try and work it back and forth, you could also try removing the outer wheel bearing so the hub and drum will rock in and out the movement may be enough to break the shoes free from the drum and allow everything to come apart

just be sure the vehicle is SECURELY SUPPORTED!!!!!

I have been soaking them for teh last two days with PB Blaster I have gone out a sprayed them down and let them soak tomorrow after work I'll try with a peice of flat stock drill to bolt to the lug nuts and try to turn it.
Thanks for teh help adn suggestions

if it dont work hit it with a hammer
if it still dont work get a bigger hammer
just remember what ever you do
DONT FORCE IT!

First thing to do is determine whether the brake/ drum is seized......

or the wheel bearings have rusted solid.

Have you removed the dust cap, nut, and outboard bearing?

If not, do so, examine "down in" the inboard bearing, see if it looks greased and free.

You may have to suck it up and ruin the drum. Cut it open with a saw, plasma, or if the front face is steel NOT cast, you can cut into the front face with a torch.

Obviously this would be a last resort

If you have air tools take a die grinder to the heads of the brake shoe hold down pins and grind them off. Remove the cotter pin and nut and you shoudl be able to remove drum and brake shoes together.

Thanks the advise I'll try it tomorrow and see what happens: I did take the cap off but I did not pull the bearings but the cap and nut were full of grease so I did not pull the nut butlike I said I'll do it tomorrow and see.
Thanks for the help

If you have air tools take a die grinder to the heads of the brake shoe hold down pins and grind them off. Remove the cotter pin and nut and you shoudl be able to remove drum and brake shoes together.

Great call!

Pull bearing out, and fram the snot out of it. If it moves 1/4" out, shoes are hitting the ridge in the drum; loosen more.

Isn't the front drum pressed onto the hub? Therefore creating an assembly that requires removing the wheel bearing nut and bearings to get the drum off.

Yes they are. pull the bearing slip an old rim on and thread lugs on about a half inch and use the wheel like a slide hammer

Well I got it off, I drilled the shoe keeper off the back of the backing plate and worked it back and forth, then I had to get the tourch out a heat the drum up and pry on like crazy to get the shoe springs to come loose. But I finally got it off it was the shoes were froze to drum.

Well I got it off, I drilled the shoe keeper off the back of the backing plate and worked it back and forth, then I had to get the tourch out a heat the drum up and pry on like crazy to get the shoe springs to come loose. But I finally got it off it was the shoes were froze to drum.

I have had to use a sludge hammer before on really stubbern ones

It was a bear I hope I don't have to deal with another one like this and I would like to THANK everyone for a ll the help.

Ok now for the million dollar question where can I find the replacemenet parts for my drum brakes, I can find the wheel cyclinders and shoes but I cannot find the small parts like the springs and stuff. Will any 9 inch drum parts work? but my backing plate has a square cut out for the shoe hold down spring it does not have a pin

-
Back