Front drum HELP!!

-

deathdust73

Reaction score
hey fabo, i have a 73 duster with a 73 scamp k member when i put it on i found i now had 10 in 5x4in pattern instead of the 9 5x4. my question is does anyone know where i can order that specific drum, what other drum i can use (makes/models/years) and/or can it be possible to order 10 in 5x4.5 pattern drums and put them in with no modifications? just as is, since the studs only bolt on to the drum and nothing else? i am aware ill need 4.5 pattern rims. please help and thanx a lot.
-kevin

I'm no expert, but I think 10" front drums with a 4" bp for 2.5" shoes are readily available. Try RockAuto. I ordered a 10" drum for rear, but they sent me a drum that was for the front (which is what I think you want). Look at Bendix PDR0174 and see if that fits. The website should give you the dimensions.

pm sent-- I have a pair of those drums --provided that they are original 73-up style.

I do not know of any direct bolt on to change your bolt pattern. Lawrence

Attachments

• IMG_9753.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 152
10"x2.5" A body front drums should be available on RockAuto as well as many other parts stores.

There were no A bodies with 5 on 4.5" front drums from the factory. Every one was 5 on 4" right thru 12/31/75 production. All front discs from then on and all 5 on 4.5".

I missed something. You upgraded from 9 inch to 10 inchers, same 5x4 pattern. This is a problem, how? Or are you wanting the 5x4.5 pattern. To get a 5x4.5, 10 inch drum you would need to get something off a B/E-body. Have you considered the std 5x4.5 disc brakes from any thus equipped post 73 A-body? Just swap in everything between the balljoints.

I lost you too. Yes the 10" front drums are available and cheap ($22), see rockauto. Rear 10" drums were rare, but now are cheap too. 10" drums are better than 9", both better stopping reserve and the hub bearings are bigger.

There were no 5x4.5" drums for A-body cars. I don't know anyone who has installed drum brakes from B,E, or C body cars. Why do so since disks are better. You want your spare wheel to fit either front or rear.

Spare tire? whats that? lol. No disrespect toBill, but I stopped dragging that boat anchor around dozens of years ago. In my neighborhood Im never more than a few minutes from a tireshop or a towtruck. And if a tire goes flat overnight, theres always the winterbeater on standby. I have the classic BigNLittles on my A. But I know exactly what you mean, and agree with you.And for most DDs it would be best. I just had to have the KHs on the front and the 295s out back.
-Theres 2 ways to get a small pattern on the front. 1) the KH sytem, and 2) after market. Im pretty sure Ive read here on FABO about a vendor who can provide parts/parts list to do that. For street duty the KH is hard to fault. Just add someTeflon,braided lines and sticky pads and youre good.
-On the other hand, if you already have the 5x4.5 out back, then the 73 up A-body discs are plentiful and cheap
-For a DD to go to work and back, a well set up 10 inch system works ok. The 9 inchers were just on there to prove the car had brakes. The spindles were weak as well. I have a box full of those around here somewhere. For a while they were multiplying like rabbits.lol.
BTW, the 9inchers were a /6 hallmark. The 10 inchers came std.on everything else. Up here in the big C, I think the discs became std. across the board in 73. And a 73 Scamp has the same K as a 73 Duster;unless they came from cars with different engines.
-How about a response from the OP?What exactly is the problem?

-
Back