Front drum self-adjuster

-

Acuda4me

Reaction score
Now I've done it. On my 74 Dart 225 904 I went and over-tightened the self-adjuster on the passenger front drum and can't get it to back off. If I try to drive it it pulls severely to the right. Does anyone have a tip or trick for backing off the self adjuster? I'd just assume not ruin the drum as I am not ready to do a disc conversion. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Take a long skinny screwdriver or length of coat hanger, and use it to push the self adjuster paw away from the star wheel while you back it off. Push just above and behind the star wheel. You'll know you found it because it will be springy.

Been trying that but the! @#$%:* star wheel won't move in any ejection now. I'm not even sure which way is loose anymore and I lost daylight and patience, so I called it a night to get a fresh perspective.

Yep, push the adjuster pawl away from the star wheel and turn the star toward the top of the backing plate. You have to move the pawl farther than you think, about 1/4" to get it to clear. Or you could cheat and pull the drum....with a BFH....

This will help clarify which way is retract.
Find a pic of your front drum brakes from a service manual. I think you'll find the paw rests under the outside of the star wheel and picks up to expand the adjuster.
( I said "I think" because my memory sux, no promises ).

Up as you're looking at it through that impossibly tiny slot you are trying to insert 2 tools through...

Could always pull the drum and remove it from the assembly. Would be easier to work on that way, just more labor to get at it!

Strategic access hole drilled in drum? Just a 3/8 so you can get a hook in there and pull the pawl back? I would pull the drum with slide hammer, itll come one off if its not locked up, says it pulls only so its still doable. Might crack the shoes but they ate still cheap.

Sorry for those sitting on the edge of their seat, but life got in the way. Hoping to try tomorrow if I get some time after kidstuff. Keep the ideas coming. I wonder if I could slowly tap found and round with my BFH? (Don't have a slide hammer)

This happened to me on one of the drums of my 72 a couple years ago. I was able to use a RBFH to tap the drum off. Think a motion like you're playing tug-of-war, hitting the back edge of the drum with the "bottom" of the RBFH's head. (What I was actually using specifically was a small sledgehammer). If yours is on tighter than mine was, you may not have as good of luck as I had, but it sure beat messing with that star tool.

-
Back