Front End and Disc Brake upgrade

-

tkowalchuk

70 Duster with a 440
Reaction score
Hey all

Some background information pertaining to my build. I have a 1970 Duster. You should note this is my first muscle car and i am a newbie. I want to do as much work i can my self on it and learn. This is going to be my summer street cruiser. There is no power steering in the car and no power brakes. I am putting a 440 into the car and atm I am waiting for the engine mounts from Schumacher. I have a 8 3-4 rear end already that is going to be installed with 002-003 springs. I will be running the 11 in drums on the back.

But for the front end i was thinking about one of these rebuild kits.

Performance Suspension Technology

Any recommendations on the torsion bars i should get for the front end?

I also need to upgrade the front to disc brakes.
I was looking at this kit.

Front Disc Brake Conversion Kit

I could get the kit that comes with the brake booster instead. I also live in Canada. So these parts are even more money for me. PST seems like they have good stuff, or is there another company i should be looking at.

What are your guys recommendations?
Thanks for reading and any advice is appreciated.

There's a member here selling the same front disc package for $650 and it includes MORE than that PST disc kit. The PST suspension kits are decent from what others have said, but I've not used them so cannot comment directly.

I just did a disc swap and cheaped out. Performance online offers a front disc kit for $400, but then it was another $80 for lower ball joints, the dust shields don't fit right, the included hoses don't fit the A body brake line brackets, there's no hardware included for the lower ball joints (another $30 in grade 8 hardware that takes up more space than the factory parts). I'm nearly done, but wish I had bought one of the packages a member has listed here instead - would have been more inclusive and had all the proper hardware!

You'll also need either new upper control arms (and upper ball joints) or upper balljoint adapters like Dr. Diff sells - this is regardless of what kit you purchase. Earlier A bodies had smaller upper ball joints and the large ones don't fit the small jointed arms.

I'd go with what's listed on this site first. Known quantity and more of the difficult parts already sourced. A master cylinder can be picked up anywhere for reasonable coin.

I recently installed a Wilwood kit on my '70 duster the quality is wayyyyyyyyyy better then that kit you show,and i didn't have to change any spindles,control arms ect..

I recently installed a Wilwood kit on my '70 duster the quality is wayyyyyyyyyy better then that kit you show,and i didn't have to change any spindles,control arms ect..

I was looking at the wilwood brakes too. I just thought the PST kit would be good cause it does come with new spindles.

On my '69 Barracuda I used 73 Charger Spindles ($125), 73 brake hoses, Moog offset bushings, 73-76 A body disc UCAs. I followed the instructions that I posted earlier. The car stops like there's no tomorrow. Just make sure and use locktite on the bolts that hold the caliper brackets because they will back there way out!! I think I spent around $300/$350 total (did the labor myself).
I eventually sold my old original Cuda spindles, control arms and the complete brake hubs/assemblies and got back about $225. If you keep checking on statewide craigslist you can get a real good deal on the spindles if you know what you're looking for.

treblig

Care to share a part number and what all it took to swap it in? Or just bragging? ;)

Sure,Wilwood 140-11023 just simply swapped everything over..not bragging stating facts...

Sure,Wilwood 140-11023 just simply swapped everything over..not bragging stating facts...

Those are for 10" drum spindles. Is that the only spindle he could have with drums? Front drums on a '70 could be 9", right?

I ask because I eyed the same swap. I'm still just over half the price since I needed new hoses and ball joints anyway, but still.

I called one of the parts stores in town and they quoted me $1300 CAN for the wilwood kit. I have the 9in drums. I'll find the link

I'll go double check my front brake size. I'm not buying it right now, but it'll probably be in the winter so I have something to do. Thanks very much

There's a member here selling the same front disc package for $650 and it includes MORE than that PST disc kit. The PST suspension kits are decent from what others have said, but I've not used them so cannot comment directly.

I just did a disc swap and cheaped out. Performance online offers a front disc kit for $400, but then it was another $80 for lower ball joints, the dust shields don't fit right, the included hoses don't fit the A body brake line brackets, there's no hardware included for the lower ball joints (another $30 in grade 8 hardware that takes up more space than the factory parts). I'm nearly done, but wish I had bought one of the packages a member has listed here instead - would have been more inclusive and had all the proper hardware!

You'll also need either new upper control arms (and upper ball joints) or upper balljoint adapters like Dr. Diff sells - this is regardless of what kit you purchase. Earlier A bodies had smaller upper ball joints and the large ones don't fit the small jointed arms.

I'd go with what's listed on this site first. Known quantity and more of the difficult parts already sourced. A master cylinder can be picked up anywhere for reasonable coin.

That would be me.
Here's what i have for your consideration.

[FOR SALE] - **REBUILT** A,B,E, Body Disc Brakes 4 1/2" Inch Big Bolt Pattern.

-
Back