Front End Questions

-

RTom

Depressingly A-Bodyless..
Reaction score
Well, I'm finally getting to the point where I can start working on the front end of my 69 Dart in preperation for the 340 I'm building.

I've got some questions about which products you guys would recommend (keeping in mind that I am king of on a budget - at least that's what the wife says O:) )

My Dart currently has power disc brakes and power steering. I am going to ad a sway bar.

I've seen a little about these flaming river manual gear boxes that have a ration of 16:1. Would this be better than my power steering?

I've seen people replacing their upper and lower control arms for aftermarket ones, would I really see a difference with this?

Is there a good place to buy a whole front end kit that would be good quality?

Would just going with something like this be a good idea? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodg...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

It will be a little while until I'm actually ready to install everything, I just want to start getting everything lined up.

Thanks for any help or advice you can give me!!

Mopar or no car!!

Rich

First, I think you should STAY AWAY from that coil over kit on Ebay. Please do not use that. The ONLY aftermarket coil over kit you should ever use is the Alterkation from Reilly Motor Sports. It is expensive, but the very best aftermarket suspension available! I have one for my 1970 Dart, and I LOVE it! I am thinking about buying another one for my cuda.

It is a personal preference whether to use power steering or manual steering in these A-bodies. I had power steering in my '68 Cuda, and I didn't like it because it was loose feeling to me, and I couldn't feel the road. It kinda "sailed" at highway speeds, I just didn't like it. I also had a manual steering box in my '70 Dart, and that I really liked because I could feel the road, and I liked the tightness off it. Now, I am in the middle of building the suspension on my '68 cuda, and I purchased the Flaming river 16:1 manual steering box. I can't tell you how it is because the car isn't on the road yet, but I have read many positive things about it, although for slow speed driving in parking lots and parallel parking, it will be a little difficult to steer. If you are on a budget though, I don't know if you want to spend close to $500 for the steering box.

The aftermarket tubular upper control arms add alot more positive caster and much more adjustment. They also come in the larger ball joint size for the '73-'76 disc brakes.

There are a few places you can buy a complete front end kit. PST is a vendor on this site that sells many suspension components for our cars. Just suspension is another, and also Performance Suspension Components is another one. You can also try to piece together your own kit from RockAuto.com.

Also a good sway is from Hellwig.

What are your end use expectations? What tires will you be running?

"It is a personal preference whether to use power steering or manual steering in these A-bodies." <<<<<< Very true.

Not everyone agrees with me on this but&#8230;.

Quality stock rebuild (rubber bushings), sway bars, 1" torsion bars, subframe connectors (I think these should be on every a-body) and a good alignment.

I feel aftermarket a-arms are a waste of money if you are running something like a 14" or 15" White Letter Tire.

Leave the spring over kits to the Honda kids, they often deliver ride harshness that gets old in regular street use, and again&#8230;. Pointless without a wheel tire package that can take advantage of such a kit.

That coilover kit may be ok but u would need more info like the camber curve, bump steer, ect.. If you are on a budget i would pass on the kit.

On a budget i would put offset bushings in the stock upper arms and just rebuild the rest stock.

The first upgades i would make are 1" or larger t-bars and a front sway bar.

Talk to the guys at Firm Feel they are great with setting up mopar stock suspension to your needs.

-
Back