front end rebuild

-

Ironmike

Reaction score
Engine is out and I'm waiting for Brian at IMM to get my stroker done, so I figured now is the right time. Got the entire front end apart....I mean everything. The K frame is hanging from a rafter right now with a brand new coat of chassis paint drying.
I'm a bit disappointed. All the bushings are factory,,almost 40 years old. They are pretty dry rotted and cracked, but not much wiggle or wobble anywhere.I thought for sure they'd have a ton of play. Ordered the big poly kit from PST. Really hope I notice a difference once this is all done.

In any case, it's not that big a deal. At least the tear down. Torsion bars are a piece of cake as long as you use the lower control arm to lever them out. My biggest problem was unbolting the strut rods. THAT was a pain.

I only posted so those of you contemplating this would be encouraged to go ahead. So far....nice weekend project. Not difficult at all if ya have patience. I can't imagine installation being any harder than tear down.

I agree that it's really not that bad, but I used the Hyperflex kit. The biggest pain for me was removing the ball joints by heating them with a torch (Just so people know they screw in). Another issue was pressing out the control arm bushings, but a press or a big vise and some scrap pipe is all that you need.

Evidently you haven't pressed any bushings out or in awkward shaped components yet. Taking the bolts out is the easy part. Good luck

Thanks for the post! Just getting ready to do the front end on my Dart. I was a little worried but you guys make it sound pretty simple.:toothy8:

Thanks for the post! Just getting ready to do the front end on my Dart. I was a little worried but you guys make it sound pretty simple.:toothy8:

I wouldn't call it simple, but doable in a weekend with the proper tools. Be prepared to swear quite a bit. I think I made up a few words.

I do not think you will disappointed with the PST total suspension poly. I did it on my car about two years ago, and the difference was astounding. Now granted the bushing where all worn out and had play, but the car is no slouch on the turns.

I have never driven my car but I am going to rebuild the front end in a few months. 35 year old bushings in the AZ heat I know they are junk. After I get the motor mounts built for the hemi, it's time to bow apart the front end and clean it up. Replace everythng and reassemble it. Motor mounts shold be fabbed up the second weekend in dec. The 3rd weekend the front end should be rebuilt.

-
Back