front end rebuild

-

slantscamp

Reaction score
hey all, i wasnt sure if anyone has posted a step by step of rebuilding their front end. but i thought i would put some pictures on here. i ended up taking all my dads disc brake parts he has gathered for his dart. this way i could rebuild them while driving my car and the just swap everything over. here are the parts before i cleaned everything.

before.JPG

here are the parts after cleaning and painting and installing new bushings. i boxed in my lower control arms in so they wont flex with that 1 1/8th inch front sway bar.

after.JPG

P6150862.JPG

starting to look better. im going to clean her up some more so i can paint everything up. i also noticed i have two different strut rods on my car. so im going to see about rush ordereing some heavy duty ones monday.

P6140860.JPG

P6140859.JPG

well ive got some of it back together. my new strut rods came today so i was able to put my lower control arms on. now im off to the store to try and buy new calipers, brake hoses, rotors, wheel bearings and master cylinder.

front.JPG

I pulled the strut rods from my duster last nite, I don't seem to have metal sleeve to keep from crushing the bushings. Been looking for info but have'nt found any, did yours have a sleeve and if so could you measure the length?

thanks, Craig

hey craig. mine did have sleeves. the stock sleeves were 1 5/8" long. and the ones that came from pst with my polygraphite bushings were a little longer. i dont know why. hope this helps.
-aaron-

aaron, thanks for the info this will help, I just ordered the Moog "improved" strut rod bushing hope they will come with new sleeves.

Craig

well i got a little more progress done today. i was hoping to get my wheels on. but one of my new wheel bearings doesnt sound right. so i think i am gonna try to get another one. then i just need to change out my master cylinder and bleed everything.

P6240888.JPG

P6240887.jpg

hey 70dart. thanks. with everything ive purchased im probably into it for 1200 or so. polygraphite front end kit from p-s-t. heavy duty strut rods. front and rear sway bars, shocks, new rotors, master cylinder, calipers, hoses, pads. it all added up. its alot of money, but well worth it since the original suspension was making some nasty noises. i still want to do bigger torsion bars. new rear leafs and sub frame connectors. but ive got some bills i need to take car of first. at least she will be safe to drive for now. oh and my wheels are magnum 500. they were off a ford but i got them for real cheap.

BERKLEY.JPG

Nice job. I'm getting ready to put disc brakes from a 74 Dart on my 72 Valiant. I never tried replacing upperconrol arm bushings before. Did you have someone press them in and out for you or can that be done yourself? Thanks

i purchased the 6 piece tool kit from just suspension. well worth the money. it comes with the puller/installer for the upper bushings. thanks
-aaron-

I hear you, don't bills suck!!:dontknow: I've had to stop buying for a while with the little one to arrive early september. The magnum 500's look awesome on your car, good choice. I am hoping to use my rallyes so I will need the small rotors, when the time comes.

yeah the rallyes would look awsome on there and thats what i wanted, but i found these wheels on craigslist for 140 bucks. just repainted them and put tires on them. i couldnt beat that. i eventually plan on going with some 17 inch wheels so i can get a lower profile tire. for handling purposes. but this all comes with money and right now im looking into getting the frame straightened since i found it was hit at some time and is off to one side. im sure that will be a good chunk of money.

It mau not cost that much, depends a lot on the shop. 140.00 for the rims man you couldn't beat that with a stick, way cheaper than rallyes a decent set will run atleast 400 to 500, good steal!

hey guys. i finally got my car back together. got it aligned. and put the front swaybar on. it feels a million times better. now i just need to do something about those leaf springs.

P7020904.JPG

P7020901.JPG

Nice work,I rebuilt the front end on my 65.

I will be rebuilding the front end on my 70,this time I will get the lower control arms with the factory sway bar tabs.

Looks good

-
Back