Front end rebuild

-

Joker13

Reaction score
I'm finally doing the front end suspension on my 68 Barracuda on my driveway. I am looking for tips/suggestions about what I can restore/paint while the front end is up and disassembled. I intend to paint the uppers and lowers. The wheels wells and front frame had been undercoated at some point by previous owners and i was thinking of hitting them with Rustoleum rust inhibitor.
Thanks

Mark your torsion bars upon removal- left & right, front & rear- so rotation doesn't change upon re-assembly. Torsion bar?- can be done w/o any cutting. I used urethane bushings on the control arms but didn't like them on the strut arms, so went with rubber on them. Good luck.

I'm doing mine right now. I learned what NOT to do when I did my 74. I started about a month ago and got stalled with other issues. I wasn't gonna hurry, I sandblasted everything and painted it. I had an extra set of LCS's that I welded the box plates on. I painted the wheel wells and frame black. I painted all suspension parts machine gray. I painted the hub and brake calipers purple. Control arm bumpers and T-bar boots are red.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

When you change your LCA bushings, I recommend the 1 3/8" tap method. Also you might wanna get a shop press at Cheapo Depot. I'm not a big fan of Harbor Freight, but the press has worked pretty good.

I bought a used K member. Did everything off the car. Then just bolted it in. Got a engine picture in by mistake. Sorry.

20170429_160434.jpg

20170707_205616.jpg

20170704_220653.jpg

20161227_183554.jpg

Last edited:
i used a 74 dart for a parts car so i could have disc brakes and the 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern. i was going to a big block too so i actually set the motor in the car on the 74 when i had everything welded and together i took the whole sub frame off that 74 parts car then painted it and installed new ball joint and bushings. then installed it on my 71 swinger.

I'm doing mine right now. I learned what NOT to do when I did my 74. I started about a month ago and got stalled with other issues. I wasn't gonna hurry, I sandblasted everything and painted it. I had an extra set of LCS's that I welded the box plates on. I painted the wheel wells and frame black. I painted all suspension parts machine gray. I painted the hub and brake calipers purple. Control arm bumpers and T-bar boots are red.

View attachment 1715590310

View attachment 1715590312
Looks great!

Still a work in progress. But you get the idea of the level I'm going for. :)

20190906_191243.jpg

IMG_0201[1(1).jpg

20200713_214807.jpg

20190906_152712.jpg

I wish I would have installed the stiffening plates on the LCA while I was at it.
I was considering doing that, but figured it wasnt necessary. WE your LCAs showing any signs they needed it? What kind of ride do you have with out having done it?

My LCA were in good shape. And thought as you why do I need em. As far as the difference I can't say because I didn't get them. But for the cost I would try them. If you can weld or know someone who can for you.
I here they make a big difference.

-
Back