Front Hard Lines and Braided "soft" on the cheap?

-

805moparkid

Slant and AFX Guy
Reaction score
my front rubber hoses are done and the fittings are stripped... so i was gonna bend up my own hard line(the engine is out) and replace the rubber lines with braided. what size tubing do i need and braided lines to fit 10" drums

You're gonna use 3/16 hardline and -3 braided line.

Done a few....

Attachments

• vaca cars dinga 095.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 237
  • New Day June 09 068.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 257
Be damn careful about picking out some braided line. Some hydraulic line has enough flex in the walls that it EXPANDS like a balloon---just enough that it "uses up" some of your pedal. If you cut into a stocker flex hose, you'll find they are VERY small I.D. and have VERY thick, highly reinforced walls. Your life may depend on it.

Your hose supplier should have the proper braided line for brake applications. When I do my systems, I tell my guy the measurments and he will cut the lines to length and crimp the ends on for me. The rest of the system, bending, fittings, ends and whatnot, I do myself.

Your hose supplier should have the proper braided line for brake applications. When I do my systems, I tell my guy the measurments and he will cut the lines to length and crimp the ends on for me. The rest of the system, bending, fittings, ends and whatnot, I do myself.

very nice work... i'll probably just do the rubber and hard lines for now...

Summitt and Jegs both have the premade braided lines in their catalogs/websites. I have a local hot rod shop that carries them although he is a little pricey.

ok so i bought the all the 3/16 hard line, soft lines be here tomorrow. bent up drivers side line and part of the passenger side...

went to start flaring the tubing with my brand new tool... and what a tool it was! wouldn't grab the tubing!!!! grrrr!

so then i pissed and noticed they gave me metric fittings! says on the tag 3/16 domestic...

so tomorrow is a new day and i'll get it all fixed up and bled!

here are some pics of the tubing

Attachments

• 100_3732.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 220
  • 100_3734.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 193
  • 100_3733.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 198
  • 100_3735.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 198
Good luck on finding an affordable double flairing tool that actually works. The ones that do seem to, start@ 300+ range. Just bent one up for my truck and lucked out with the premade length. A mechanic I asked to duplicate my line, told me he just bends them up and puts a compression fitting in a straight section. I did`nt need the fitting.

ur gonna laugh, 3 bucks for checkers

Attachments

• 1114101043.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 173
Good luck on finding an affordable double flairing tool that actually works. The ones that do seem to, start@ 300+ range. Just bent one up for my truck and lucked out with the premade length. A mechanic I asked to duplicate my line, told me he just bends them up and puts a compression fitting in a straight section. I did`nt need the fitting.
i thought ur not supposed to use compression fittings on brake lines?!?!

Lol,that tubing bender is the same one I have been using for years. Only now with weak hands I need to heat the line first,then bend.

i thought ur not supposed to use compression fittings on brake lines?!?!

EXACTLY!!!

Compression fittings on brake lines are what HACKS do. True mechanics wouldn't even consider such a dumb-*** move. :angry7: Do it once, do it right. Properly flared connections are the only way to do brake lines.

Wylde1.

EXACTLY!!!

Compression fittings on brake lines are what HACKS do. True mechanics wouldn't even consider such a dumb-*** move. :angry7: Do it once, do it right. Properly flared connections are the only way to do brake lines.

Wylde1.

This is a bad mech. Stay far far far away..

This is a bad mech. Stay far far far away..
Oh, he lost most of my business long ago, only because of one of his hack employee. Whole nudda thread. He does my inspections, and turn rotors/drums, and grind an ocassional flywheel.
Nuttin wrong with compression fittings, wild, hard:bootysha:s. Be real.:clock:

Nuttin wrong with compression fittings, wild, hard:bootysha:s. Be real.:clock:

I'll stick by what I wrote any day of the week.

Compression fittings are ok on lines that don't deal with lots of pressure - not brake lines! Compression fittings on a fuel line = ok. Compression fittings on brake lines = HACK. Ever see compression fittings on brake lines from the factory? Didn't think so. With cheap-*** bean counters running the show, the factory would do it if they could get away with it. Think there's a good reason why they don't use them???

Wylde1.

Compression fittings on a brake system? No frog, NO! Get the liscence numbers on the cars that guy has worked on and drive in the opposite direction anytime you see them.

-
Back