Front pump leaking??????

-

xLURKxDOGx

"An angel fat, at satan's feast"
Reaction score
I just put my new engine and was having massive amounts of issues with that and now it seams all that bad luck is being passed on the the transmission. Its a 64 SB 904 that was floor shift/pushbutton that was supposed to have been rebuilt within the last 10000 miles so i thought nothing of it. I looked over the valve body and it looked clean as well as the gaskets.
So, it appears to be leaking from the center on the bellhousing, it doesnt do it when its idling in neutral so it only a guess. I suppose its possible that its a bad converter but i dont know if that a obvious sign??? Its only when ive come back from a short drive and i look and its sprayed all over the underside, on the pan, exhaust pipes, everywhere. I looks like it wasnt over filled/overheating. I have transmission lines running into my champion radiator. Any insight would be great.

Thanks again!!!

Jake

Basically;There are just 4 possibilities, if the fluid level was correct;
1) the TC snout, 2) the pump-seal,3) the pump-gasket, 4) the sealing washers
None of these can be repaired until the tranny comes down.EDIT, or back!
That's why it is paramount to prove that the fluid level was correct, and not puking out the vent.
904 snouts are known to crack. The spring on the back of the TC seal has been known to become dislodged during installation using a hammer, The gasket and sealing washers,almost never leak.
There is a 5th possibility; the pipeplug that plugs the hole where the pin for the KD arm installs through.
It's also possible for engine oil to show up in the same place, if it runs into the BH from the back of the intake manifold.Course it ain't red...and tastes different.

Pull it up on ramps, chock it, jackstand it and pull the trans back. Pull convertor out and start looking.

If it's spraying all over everything like you say I'd first look at the trans cooler lines. I've seen front pump seals and converters leak and the fluid generally runs out of the bottom of the bellhousing rearward, not all over every direction. A pinhole or crack in a line sure will make a mess

Basically;There are just 4 possibilities, if the fluid level was correct;
1) the TC snout, 2) the pump-seal,3) the pump-gasket, 4) the sealing washers
None of these can be repaired until the tranny comes down.EDIT, or back!
That's why it is paramount to prove that the fluid level was correct, and not puking out the vent.
904 snouts are known to crack. The spring on the back of the TC seal has been known to become dislodged during installation using a hammer, The gasket and sealing washers,almost never leak.
There is a 5th possibility; the pipeplug that plugs the hole where the pin for the KD arm installs through.
It's also possible for engine oil to show up in the same place, if it runs into the BH from the back of the intake manifold.Course it ain't red...and tastes different.

Thanks for the response! I was looking all over for possibilities, and something came back to the converter and i am hoping that is the problem because i have one from the slant i pulled out. I was debating pulling the engine because of the high oil pressure but i was able to get the leaking to go away but dropping the transmission might be better.

Pull it up on ramps, chock it, jackstand it and pull the trans back. Pull convertor out and start looking.

I will have a look tomorrow. THANKS!!!

If it's spraying all over everything like you say I'd first look at the trans cooler lines. I've seen front pump seals and converters leak and the fluid generally runs out of the bottom of the bellhousing rearward, not all over every direction. A pinhole or crack in a line sure will make a mess

I cant prove its spraying all over but i have a hunch that it appears like that because the wind pushing it back as i am driving. I bought replacement transmission lines and the front one went in fine but the back line was a pain, i didnt see a kink but ill look again. Would it be obvious to see if the front pump is leaking if i had it in front of me?? How can to test it without it being in the car?

Jake

It's best to try and source the oil leak(s) before pulling the tranny.
Once the pump is out, you cannot tell much. You can check the seal for rips and to be sure the spring is correctly located, and for an incorrectly installed gasket, and for a twisted or failed perimeter O-ring. And most importantly, you can inspect the TC snout for a crack.They like to crack away from an inside corner of the pump drive-slot.But if those are all good, then what do you do?
Generally you can tell, by the oil trails. If the oil is on the tranny side of the TC, its probably the seal or the snout. If the oil is not on the TC then it's probably; the vent if found high up, or the plug if low down. Or if it's a sealing washer it could be anywhere in-between.But leaking sealing washers do not gush oil; it's just an annoying seepage that collects dust. If the oil is on the engine side of the TC, then it would more likely be an engine oil leak. If the TC has a loose drainplug, there will be a flung trail all the way around the inside of the bellhouse.

It appears theres no kink in the lines. I was really hoping for that outcome but oh well. I put the end up and put it into drive to see if i could see anything. It seams like its from the TC, because ist getting everywhere though i didnt feel real comfortable giving it rmps with it up in the air incase something went a miss. Ill know more by tomorrow.

Jake

After even more inspection it seams theres a steady leak from the speedo cable, right where it goes into the housing, it looks to have been bent. It looks like a new one is needed. Does anyone sell these new or is this going to be a forum find?

Jake

Now you're just confusing me. How did we get from the front of the tranny, to the rear?

If the speed-o gauge works on the dash, it would be hard to justify replacement. There is a seal on the sending unit, whose job it is to prevent tranny oil from migrating up the cable. It would appear yours has failed.

I had a pesky leak on my 727 that turned out to be the neutral safety switch. I had fluid everywhere and at one time also thought it was the speedo cable. It looked like it was dripping down the cable but it was just sprayJust food for thought.
Hard to trace when you get spray all over.
TXdart finally pinpointed it, swapped in a new switch, and no more puddles.
Good luck!

I had one that drove me nuts, same symptoms. Not while idling but after a drive it was all over the front side of the tranny. Turned out to be the dipstick tube o ring, easy to check.

Now you're just confusing me. How did we get from the front of the tranny, to the rear?

If the speed-o gauge works on the dash, it would be hard to justify replacement. There is a seal on the sending unit, whose job it is to prevent tranny oil from migrating up the cable. It would appear yours has failed.

Well, i found a few leaks but i am still a bit confused by what the hell is going on with the bellhousing. Its leaking from the cable on both the parking brake sprag and the speedo. Are both of these seal fixes? Ill look into the dipstick o-ring because that is a possibility. The real pain seams to be i can not actually see where its coming because it doesnt appear to leak anywhere near the bellhousing at idle but does leaking a bit from the cables. I found the cables out on accident because it was burning it up dripping on the exhaust pipe.

Thanks!!!

I had one that drove me nuts, same symptoms. Not while idling but after a drive it was all over the front side of the tranny. Turned out to be the dipstick tube o ring, easy to check.

Thanks, thats my next stop on the inspection train!

Jake

I had a pesky leak on my 727 that turned out to be the neutral safety switch. I had fluid everywhere and at one time also thought it was the speedo cable. It looked like it was dripping down the cable but it was just sprayJust food for thought.
Hard to trace when you get spray all over.
TXdart finally pinpointed it, swapped in a new switch, and no more puddles.
Good luck!

This is exactly what happened to the other 904 from the slant, i couldnt find one for less than 100$ so i plugged it off with a brass fitting and ran the Switch cable to a body ground. SAFETY LAST, LEAKS FIRST!!!!

Jake

This is exactly what happened to the other 904 from the slant, i couldnt find one for less than 100$ so i plugged it off with a brass fitting and ran the Switch cable to a body ground. SAFETY LAST, LEAKS FIRST!!!!

Jake

Are the switches different from a cable shift to a linkage shift? Up to 68 the linkage shift was a single pin. After 68 it was a 3 pin. You can use a early 3 pin switch in place of a single pin by connecting the wire to the center pin and leaving the outer pins alone. Safety should always be first, not last IMO. My car had the neutral safety switch bypassed when I bought it and they didn't tell me and after I spent a day installing a stereo which required pulling the shifter down into low I was tired and forgot to put it back in park and turned the key. When the engine started I dang near ran into the work bench before I got it stopped. Good thing no one was in front of it.

-
Back