Front Rubbing - Tires, Suspension or Wheels?

-
I found a website called tirebuyer.com. For the tires I picked, shipping is free and they have a list of installers that you can pick from and it lists their installation prices. Discount Tire isn't one of them, but places like AAA, Goodyear Auto Service Center and smaller local chains are available. For AAA, their total installation price is $67 but that includes an $8 tire disposal fee that I wouldn't have to pay since I'm not disposing of any tires. I still have to pay tax on the tires, but their prices were a lot cheaper. I may see if Discount Tire will price match since they're closer.

I found a website called tirebuyer.com. For the tires I picked, shipping is free and they have a list of installers that you can pick from and it lists their installation prices. Discount Tire isn't one of them, but places like AAA, Goodyear Auto Service Center and smaller local chains are available. For AAA, their total installation price is $67 but that includes an $8 tire disposal fee that I wouldn't have to pay since I'm not disposing of any tires. I still have to pay tax on the tires, but their prices were a lot cheaper. I may see if Discount Tire will price match since they're closer.

(shhhhh), but the Discount Tire (around here, at least) will price match tirerack.com and other online sources. BUUUT, they'll try to charge you for the shipping anyway (gambling that you'll eat the shipping cost to get the tires RIGHT NOW). PLUS they charge tax (several online tire suppliers don't charge tax), so it ends up costing more. When I tell them that I WON'T pay for shipping and I can just order the tires online and have them install them, they usually give in and wave the shipping.

The catch to this is that you have to find the EXACT tire for price matching. Not just the same size, but the same size, brand, model, etc. Apples to apples only.

I usually buy tires at tirerack.com and have them drop shipped to a local NTB for install. They're the cheapest around here ($12-$15 per tire), and the service compares to Discount Tire. They try and upsell road hazzard and alignments and such, but they're pretty good.

BTW, tirebuyer.com has the same exact pricing as tirerack on the tires I checked, and although the shipping was free, the installation cost was WAY higher than what I've found. Therefore, I suspect the installer is just covering the shipping and tacking it onto the cost of the installation.

Best of luck!

Show me a barracuda with 275 wide tires up front and I will believe.

'68 Barracuda, 275/40-17 on 17x8:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showpost.php?p=1970353024&postcount=6

Here is a '74 Duster, 275/35-18 on 18x9:
http://www.protouringmopar.com/show...-demonizer-build&p=14234&viewfull=1#post14234

I *almost* went with the same exact tires as the Duster... but changed my mind this weekend when I ordered them. I wanted 26" front and 27" rear, so I went with Falken Azenis RT615K 255/40-18 and 295/40-18. 0.4" taller on front, 1.1" taller on the rear.

I fit a 18x8 with a 245/40-18 on a '65 Barracuda last Thursday. Looked like there was a little more room. That car had an AlterK and was running 17x8 with 225/45-17.

I think I'm going to go ahead and order the 18x9.5s here real soon and then wait to order the 17x8s and the tires when the back wheels ship (4 to 6 weeks).

The Duster mentioned above is mine, running 275/35/18's up front on 18x9's with an effective backspace of 6.2", and 295/35/18's in the back with a 7" backspace. In the rear I have a 1/2" relocation and cut the quarter lip back about 1/4". Front has Dr Diffs 13" cobra kit, so that widened the front track 3/16", which is why I mentioned the "effective" backspace. No rubbing so far, although I have almost zero room to the rear of the frame at full lock in the front. Taller tires would have rubbed and probably needed a small spacer, I have a little room to the fenders.

I did want 26" tall tires in the front, but the KDW's are pretty close at 25.7". Rears are 26.1" tall. I looked at some other tire options, but I know firsthand that the KDW's have a ton of grip, and do very well in the wet as I ran them on my SRT4 when I had it awhile back. They're a little noisy, but I can't hear them over my Ultra Flo's. :D Since my Duster will be my daily here pretty soon I wanted good all around tires as it will get used in the wet.

Not many options at all in a 295/40/18, I might have considered it otherwise. I wasn't super impressed with the Falken's I had on the Duster before with the 15's. Pretty heavy tire, and a few needed a TON of wheel weights added. Maybe the Azeni's are better in the 18" size than the Ziex 512's I had on mine.

I have a build thread here as well, I just use a different screen name at protouringmopar.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=198098&page=5

The back wheels came in.

1D45147E-B989-43E2-8D22-CF9330E93AFF_zpslcblqjgi.jpg

It might be a little tight on the inside edge, but I won't know for sure until I get some tires on it.

It might be a little tight on the inside edge, but I won't know for sure until I get some tires on it.

Looks good! If by the inside edge you mean the frame side a little tight there is OK. If you need to space it out a little you can. The other direction is a problem.

My car was damaged while in the shop over the summer so I wasn't able to drive the car until recently. Turns out, my tires rub in the back.

A306F714-9337-49C2-AF3D-8EBBB7ED11D3_zpsxky0mmf4.jpg

I suppose I need some kind of spacer, but I'm not sure how thick and where to look. What should I be looking for; I've never used spacers before and I want to make sure I get something that's safe.

'68 Barracuda, 275/40-17 on 17x8:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showpost.php?p=1970353024&postcount=6

Looks like a factory fit there to me. Just a slight adjustment with a sledge hammer, water pipe and a little jig saw work to the fender and it fits like a glove.

Fit to me, indicates that you can actually use the suspension and not have to look like your driving a 4 wheel drive. :D

I guess if you like the high look and don't want your wheels under the fenders where they belong you could run whatever you want. :cheers:

I like my stuff low.

My car was damaged while in the shop over the summer so I wasn't able to drive the car until recently. Turns out, my tires rub in the back.

A306F714-9337-49C2-AF3D-8EBBB7ED11D3_zpsxky0mmf4.jpg

I suppose I need some kind of spacer, but I'm not sure how thick and where to look. What should I be looking for; I've never used spacers before and I want to make sure I get something that's safe.

Depending on how much space you have on your fender lip I would just try a 1/8 thin plate if the rubbing stop then you're good. I would also paint the rubbed area so you can tell if it rubs again.

treblig

Obviously, hubcentric spacers would be better, but since the wheels are not hubcentric, would that even make a difference?

I'm wondering how much I actually need. 1/8" doesn't seem like much, but I'm wondering if I even have 1/4" to give on the outside edge.

I guess I'll need to check the other side to see if I'm rubbing as much on that side as well. I might just have to try some and hope I can swap them out for a different size if they don't work. I'd hate to spend $50+ (just don't feel comfortable with cast aluminum) and then they not be right and have to order another set.

IIRC going from the SBP drum to BBP disk brake on the front adds 1½" to the track. I have 235/60-15s on 15 x7 (4¼ BS) on the Demon all around. Up front, they rub on jounce on the inside of the fender while turning. Going straight there is no problem. Next time I buy tires, I'll try 225/60-15s.

I "widened" the front fenders but the gap between the hood and fenders was too big when I eliminated the rub. The front panel on the 67-69 Cuda (and 73+ Dart) makes this solution impossible.

Here is a shot of 255 x 45 x 18's on 8" rim with 5.5" bs on my cuda with a 4-link so no interference from leaf springs.

You can see that the back side of the tire is very close (1/4") to the inside edge of the wheel well. On the out side of the wheel well there is maybe 1/2" clearance and that's as far as I would go without risking tire rub. Any rim wider than 8" on my car rubs when I lower it. Remember that an 8" rim is really 9" wide, a 9 is 10" etc.....

This pic is with my suspension unloaded. The tops of the wheel wells are narrower so it's even tighter the lower you drop your wheel wells over your wheels.

Getting help from the tire pro's picking out what will fit your specific car will make life a lot easier.

ok show off.....

Yea.

Taking my time to help someone not make the same mistakes as I have is being a show off.

No worries mate. When I show off you wont see me as I will be hidden by a huge smoke cloud! :burnout:

-
Back