Front Seat Removal

-

Sparky1

Reaction score
I want remove the front seat from my 72 Duster to have it re-done. It's a bench seat - are there any tricks or things to beware of? Are there only four bolts?
Thanks in advance

If a '72 is like a '71, yes there are only 4 bolts.
If you don't have a helper, you might try lifting one side first, putting a short 2x4 between the hump and door sill so you don't catch the studs on the carpet. It's not super heavy, but it is rather awkward to grab by yourself.

Sometimes the nuts seize onto the studs, and heat is required to get them off. I always clean the studs off prior, with a thread-cleaning die. And I use plenty of DeepCreep beforehand, and go slow. If the nut stops or it gets tight,spray penetrant between the nut and the floor, and move to another stud, while it cools. Later when you come back to it, spray the upper portion of the stud again,TIGHTEN it back up, spray the lower portion,and try again.

If you get carried away and tear one off,no biggie; just weld a new one on before it goes to the upholstery shop, and make sure the seat still fits.

Sometimes the nuts seize onto the studs, and heat is required to get them off. I always clean the studs off prior, with a thread-cleaning die. And I use plenty of DeepCreep beforehand, and go slow. If the nut stops or it gets tight,spray penetrant between the nut and the floor, and move to another stud, while it cools. Later when you come back to it, spray the upper portion of the stud again,TIGHTEN it back up, spray the lower portion,and try again.

If you get carried away and tear one off,no biggie; just weld a new one on before it goes to the upholstery shop, and make sure the seat still fits.
=============
Thanks - I figured that might be the case. I have also used heat and then touch a candle to the heated part. It's amazing how well that works.
I'll give it shot....

Yeah these anchor studs can rip a door panel or your leg. The studs had rubber caps on the assembly line.
Be careful

-
Back