Front Shock Recommendation

-

Mcfarlrm

Reaction score
Looking for some front shock recommendations for my 68 Barracuda. Currently, the shocks installed seem to be bottoming out when hitting bumps. Front is sitting lower than stock (about 23 1/2" from floor to bottom of fender) Tires - P205/60R15. Not too sure what other details I can provide here to make a solid recommendation. Looking for something a bit more stiff I'd imagine so I don't bottom out.

Looking for some front shock recommendations for my 68 Barracuda. Currently, the shocks installed seem to be bottoming out when hitting bumps. Front is sitting lower than stock (about 23 1/2" from floor to bottom of fender) Tires - P205/60R15. Not too sure what other details I can provide here to make a solid recommendation. Looking for something a bit more stiff I'd imagine so I don't bottom out.
Shocks don't add support to the suspension, they just dampen the oscillations. You need heavier torsion bars (or remove/cut down the bumpers on the LCAs).
Are the bottoms of your fenders really 23 1/2 inches off the ground?

Shocks don't add support to the suspension, they just dampen the oscillations. You need heavier torsion bars (or remove/cut down the bumpers on the LCAs).

IMG_4037.jpg

Bumps in Florida? :D
Speed Bumps in parking lots and apartment complexes also we have our fair share of pot holes and people that won't get out of the way

:BangHead::lol::rofl:

Any torsion bar recommendations?

Interested plans for the car?
Cruiser, Strip, spirited cornering, etc
What engine? ( weight makes a difference)

For comparison... Barracuda fastback with 273, .890 torsion bars, Bilstein shocks,lowered about 5/8" in front. I sawed 1/4" off the LCA stop. Does not generally hit the bump stops. Freeways here have 5" deep potholes, and I also run some sketchy back roads on occasion.

I just put a set of the Bilstein RCD on all 4 corners of my 73 Duster 340, stock torsion bars, they are awesome car has almost no body roll. Rides great’s handles great- PST offers FABO members 10% discount too

1.08? Definitely won't bottom out, might be a little stiff for cruising... I personally like some suspension compliance — I rely on sway bars to control roll.

1.08? Definitely won't bottom out, might be a little stiff for cruising... I personally like some suspension compliance — I rely on sway bars to control roll.
it won't be stiff with good shocks. firm but not stuff

I do need some new shocks regardless. Any good suggestions that wont break the bank? This is a weekend cruiser and corning from time to time with no intent to track/strip.

I would suggest 1.03 bars min. I don't recall too many potholes in Florida, no matter where I went.
I have 1.12, but can't provide any feedback yet as I only have 7 miles on it so far. Concerned that I might have gone a little overboard, but time will tell.

that's fairly low. like others have said, you're probably bottoming out on the LCA bumpers. trimming them would help, but upping the t-bars as well would be beneficial overall for handling.

i'm small(er) bars, big(er) sway bars camp, so i like .920's and under on the street for a cruiser.

either way, good shocks are money well spent.

I do need some new shocks regardless. Any good suggestions that wont break the bank? This is a weekend cruiser and corning from time to time with no intent to track/strip.
For what you are doing, KYB or Monroe shocks will work just fine.

I also have a 68 how did you get it so low without touching the bumpers?
I’m at 26 1/2 and 1/2 of bumper clearance with .870 bars (892-3) 235/45/17 still getting it together so haven’t driven yet.

-
Back