Front suspension assemble sequence

-

440 Mike

Reaction score
I've installed all new front suspension components and need to know if the strut rods are supposed to be tightened before or after setting the ride height. I have the pivot shafts and strut rods loose at the moment with about 5 turns of preload on the T-bars. Thanks.

EngineBay68.jpg

From the factory service manual, assuming you have factory style rubber bushings. Wheels on the ground, ride height set, THEN tighten the strut rod nuts and the LCA pivot nuts.

Screenshot 2024-03-15 at 10.29.27 PM.png

Personally I don't see why the strut rod nuts need to be tightened at ride height, but that's what the FSM says. The LCA pivot nuts being tightened at ride height makes perfect sense with rubber bushings, since they don't rotate in the shell and can only stretch so far.

I see you don't have the engine in, so, you will need to approximate the cars final ride height before you torque that stuff. The position of the LCA is what matters for that.

I would just wait till the engine's in it. It's not like it's goin anywhere. lol

From the factory service manual, assuming you have factory style rubber bushings. Wheels on the ground, ride height set, THEN tighten the strut rod nuts and the LCA pivot nuts.

View attachment 1716222084

Personally I don't see why the strut rod nuts need to be tightened at ride height, but that's what the FSM says. The LCA pivot nuts being tightened at ride height makes perfect sense with rubber bushings, since they don't rotate in the shell and can only stretch so far.

I see you don't have the engine in, so, you will need to approximate the cars final ride height before you torque that stuff. The position of the LCA is what matters for that.
Thanks!

My FSM has a section that says: (2) .....position strut into lower control arm and tighten nut to 110 foot-pounds. (3) Position control arm shaft and strut assembly into the cross member. Install strut front bushing, sleeve, and retainer. Tighten nut finger tight only.

I figured that I better ask, because tightening the nut on the control arm end of the strut seems to put a bind on all of the movement.

I wouldn't have them (torsion bars) even in until the engine trans and exhaust were installed....but that's just me, other opinions may vary.

I wouldn't have them (torsion bars) even in until the engine trans and exhaust were installed....but that's just me, other opinions may vary.
Same here as I put the drivetrain in from the bottom like the factory did.

I have factory style strut rod bushings in kframe and I tighten nuts down after torsion bars are in. But LCA nuts leave loose until engine in, ride height set, and car down on all 4 wheels then I tighten LCA pivot nuts.

-
Back