Front sway bar question

-

dodgemahal

Reaction score
My 1973 4-door Dart came from the factory without a front swaybar. How difficult would it be to add one? Bear in mind there's no tab/bracket on the lower control arms to attach the sway bar links. I could Weld some on but I'd need the measurements to get the geometry correct.

It’s not hard at all. My 75 Duster had no sway bar in front or rear from the factory. I installed aftermarket bars in both positions back in the mid eighties using only basic hand tools. It made a huge difference in the way the car handled. It’s been quite awhile since I did the install, but I believe the bracket on the lower control arm was bolted in place after drilling a hole for the bolt. You can see it here in the photo below.
IMG_3001.jpeg

Last edited:
Hellwig makes a really nice front sway bar that comes with all the brackets and hardware.

@BergmanAutoCraft also sells sway bar tabs that can be welded on.

Last edited:
Hellwig is the best place to buy a bar for that car. They make really nice stuff.

DSC_3567 (Large).JPG

DSC_3608 (Large).JPG

DSC_3865 (Large).JPG

+1 on the hellwig

most of the new kits designed for "non tabbed" lowers bolt to a bracket that bolts to the lower shock mount. you *might* have to enbiggen that hole slightly, and possibly pop some trivial holes in the k-member.

going the other way with welding tabs on, it's a little more fussy but you could save some dough and run a stock bar if that suits your needs.

OP has a 1973 so the odds are good that he can find original lowers with the sway bar tab on them. I didn't have too much trouble finding a set when I built my Duster. I had the fab capability of making my own, but I found a set on Craigslist for $75 so I grabbed them.

I just wanted to say, Andy, the level of work seen in those photos is outstanding. No A body rolling straight off the assembly line ever looked that good.
Thanks. It was an interesting project. I hated that car at first then I really started to like it. It was fun to drive when I was done with it.

DSC_4615 (Large).JPG

-
Back