Front tires

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
I plan on running a 6" wide front rim. How tall of a tire are you guys running with out rubbing issues or any other issues?

to list the back space of the wheel. That will effect the height tire you can turn in there.

FWIW, I have 215-60-15 @ ~24" high. It's a '68 GTS

For my fronts, I am thinking of running 225/60/15 on a Cragar SS, the diameter is a bit smaller than my current 215/70/14 tires on the stock Ralley wheels I have on all four corners.

Paul

I plan on running a 6" wide front rim. How tall of a tire are you guys running with out rubbing issues or any other issues?

Kind of a vague question.
Give us a little more idea on what you plan on doing with this car
(drag race,canyon carver,street car)and we can give you a better idea on tire choice.

on my 68 cuda I have a 17x8 with 5.72" of backspace and a 245/45/17 up front....its 24.5" tall...

That "45" series aspect ratio throws ya off until you read into the 17" rim and the 5.72 back space.....

Do you have a pic you can throw up?

these are the only pics I have at the moment....do they help?

flvmgo.jpg

2ex1w9j.jpg

690zmf.jpg

s170uq.jpg

...and you wanted to get rid of that "Sexmachine" at one point Mopardude:angry7: Thing is a beauty! LOL Hope all is well with you dude!

fwiw...I am running 225 60 14's tires on 5.5 Rallies with plenty of space to spare. The car also sits pretty low as to eliminate as much wheel gap as possible. These are on a Duster though.

...and you wanted to get rid of that "Sexmachine" at one point Mopardude:angry7: Thing is a beauty! LOL Hope all is well with you dude!

fwiw...I am running 225 60 14's tires on 5.5 Rallies with plenty of space to spare. The car also sits pretty low as to eliminate as much wheel gap as possible. These are on a Duster though.

LOL thanks for the comments...I just need a new trunk floor, left fender, and passenger side quarter...there is small bubble spots near the top and bottom of the windshield, some rust here and there, dents and dings, and when I look at those areas, it really discourages me because I can't do body work...I have seen worse on this site, and have seen guys fix it like new...nothing that one of the more experienced guys on this site cant fix....i just cant do it...

tricky question... some went wider some went to smaller ones..... for me i made my way to a skinny front wheel turned from 205/70/14 to 185/80/14 (on a 6" wide rim)

I'll be ordering some 195/65R15's to run on a 5 inch wheel. I also have a 67 Dart with 73-76 disc brakes.

215/75/15 on my 1967 Dart. no problems. It does have disc brakes from a '72, if that makes any difference.

This really surprises me. A 215-75-15 is just under 28" tall. Normally people start running into issues with a 26" tall tire.

I would love to see pics and have more info.

You may want to be a bit more specific. e.g. 67+, 63-66, offset of rim, disk/drum brake.

I run 205/60-15 on 7" 4¼" back space (Magnum 500 wheels) on the 73 Dart with factory disk brakes. Have hit the inside of the fender once in the past year. No damage to either tire or body.

The 72 Demon has a 75 K-frame, LBP factory disk brakes, 235/60-15, 7" wide, 4¼" back space (cop car) wheels. No rubs so far.

Update to this. I now have a 15x4.5 inch rim. What are you guys running upfront on these skinny rims? Im thinking 24 X 4.5-15 MICKEY THOMPSON ET DRAG to go along with my ET Street rears what do yall think?

I ran 235/60-14 on a 6" wide rim of unkown backspacing on the front of my 68 Barracuda with no issues. When these wore out I went to a 225/60-15 on a 7" rim with 4.25" of backspacing (the overall diameter was within a couple of tenths of an inch). These would hit the front edge of the fender when the tire was turned in. A combination of a wider rim and/or less back spacing moved the tire further out casuing the contact. I now have 215/60-15's on those 7" rims.

NOTE: I also have 73+ disk brakes on the front which widen the track from the stock drums.

A 165/80/15 is a very uncommon size. Replacement if one gets damaged could be a pain because it isn't something most will have in stock.

A google search for that size gives few results and the reviews are poor (of the limited manufacturers).

It will give you that old school look (wide out back and skinny up front) but your car will corner like crap (even worse than stock) and the tires will roll over.

If you just want the look, go for it. If you want to drive, I would move up to a different tire.

I think a 195-65-15 (25" tall) or even a 205-65-15 (25.5" tall) would be better options.

I agree with Formula. They are tough to find and the you are limited to a couple of cheap no name brands. That why I'm going to order the 195/65R15. A lot better selection of name brand tires. It's still a pretty small tire, but has modern design and will allow a little more spirited driving, but still not an autoXr.

-
Back