Front Wheel to Fender Clearance on my 68 Fastback.

-

TimS

Reaction score
Tried to put some spare 14 in road wheels with 225 70 14 tires on the front of my 68 and I did not have enough fender clearance at the front to turn the wheels. They rubbed. Is this normal for a 68? I'm a B and Ebody guy over the years and this is my first older Cuda. I had to put the stock rims back on with the 205 70 14's. There isn't a whole lot of turn clearance even with those. Is this normal?

I do know the 2nd owner converted it to front disc's and I now wonder if that is the issue.

Thanks !!

Typical. That's a very tall tire.

225/60/15 on 15x7 4.25" backspace barely fit. And sometimes rub. There are people here that run 225/60/15 without problem and others that have caught the fender when backing out of a driveway.

Common to see people run 215/60/14 with 14x6 ralley/mopar rims on 67-69.

It varies per the alignment and past collision damage.

More positive caster adjusted at the upper control arms will pull the tire back for more clearance a little.

Typical. That's a very tall tire. 225/60/15 on 15x7 4.25" backspace barely fit. And sometimes rub. There are people here that run 225/60/15 without problem and others that have caught the fender when backing out of a driveway.Common to see people run 215/60/14 with 14x6 ralley/mopar rims on 67-69. It varies per the alignment and past collision damage. More positive caster adjusted at the upper control arms will pull the tire back for more clearance a little.

So it sounds like I would have better luck running a 60 series 14" tire on the front if I want to use my road wheels.I think I've got one on a spare for my 71 Cuda on a road wheel. I'll give that a shot.

I have a 1968 fastback with 15 inch wheels and 225 70 15 bf Goodrich t/a radials and they have tons of clearance up front so maybe yes the disc brake setup the other owner installed makes a difference, it didn't when I switched mine to disc brakes.

Attachments

• 68 cuda-4-1.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 232
I have a 1968 fastback with 15 inch wheels and 225 70 15 bf Goodrich t/a radials and they have tons of clearance up front so maybe yes the disc brake setup the other owner installed makes a difference, it didn't when I switched mine to disc brakes.

Are you running the 73-76 type large bolt pattern disk brakes, small bolt 4 piston, or other?

What is the width and backspace of your 15" rims?

WOW. That's way more clearance to the front of the fender than I've got with 14's. I'll have to check and see what year setup that came from on my car. All I recall is that the previous owner said it was from an Abody and it is big bolt.

I'm not buying that those are 225/70/15s.

Sorry buddy, after reading all the hoopla about my tire size "not buying that" by the know it alls here I checked and, was my mistake they are 215-65-15 but still have 225-60-15 here that will fit this car and not rub, they are on 15x7 inch mag wheels with identical back spacing and I took them off to put the factory wheels on, just trying to help the guy out didn't mean to get you gear heads feathers ruffled, lol here's a pic so we you can see the size this time

the 215-65-15 section width is 8.7" tread width is 7.1" diameter is 26.1"
the 225-60-15 section width is 9" tread width is 6.7" diameter is 25.6

Attachments

• 20140922_221532.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 190
Sorry buddy, after reading all the hoopla about my tire size "not buying that" by the know it alls here I checked and, was my mistake they are 215-65-15 but still have 225-60-15 here that will fit this car and not rub, they are on 15x7 inch mag wheels with identical back spacing and I took them off to put the factory wheels on, just trying to help the guy out didn't mean to get you gear heads feathers ruffled, lol here's a pic so we you can see the size this time

Hey, thank you for checking.

No one here wanted to see someone buy $300 worth of tire and have them rub. You info is still important and adds a combination that has not be listed yet.

It's the internet, people's tone comes off a little rougher than they would in person. Seems like every keyboard has a little bit of Tourette's Syndrome in it. I just accept people talk different over the internet than they do in person and move on.

Sorry buddy, after reading all the hoopla about my tire size "not buying that" by the know it alls here I checked and, was my mistake they are 215-65-15 but still have 225-60-15 here that will fit this car and not rub, they are on 15x7 inch mag wheels with identical back spacing and I took them off to put the factory wheels on, just trying to help the guy out didn't mean to get you gear heads feathers ruffled, lol here's a pic so we you can see the size this time the 215-65-15 section width is 8.7" tread width is 7.1" diameter is 26.1"the 225-60-15 section width is 9" tread width is 6.7" diameter is 25.6

Thanks for the info. I had some 215 65 15's on a Super Bee I used to have and sold earlier this year and I did picture those as being a possibility too. This confirms it.

WOW. That's way more clearance to the front of the fender than I've got with 14's. I'll have to check and see what year setup that came from on my car. All I recall is that the previous owner said it was from an Abody and it is big bolt.

Also I did find out from the previous owner that the setup came from a 72 Dart.

I've been running 215/70-14 quite a while. They ride great. I cant imagine anything larger fitting in there.

Also I did find out from the previous owner that the setup came from a 72 Dart.

72 Dart would be small bolt pattern.

Are the calipers single piston? If you post a pic it's easy to tell.

73-76 A-body discs definitely add to the track width. I think I've seen claims from 1/2" to 7/8" per side.

I have 215-60X15 on factory steel wheels, 15" x 7", 4-1/4" BS, on a 68 cuda w/ 73-76 discs. LF definitely hits the front lip when backing out of a drive with the wheels turned. RF just barely clears by about 1/8". No problems when just driving forward, only in reverse. Must be a little flex somewhere allowing the wheel to move though the front end is pretty new Moog including the rubber strut rod bushings.

73-76 A-body discs definitely add to the track width. I think I've seen claims from 1/2" to 7/8" per side.I have 215-60X15 on factory steel wheels, 15" x 7", 4-1/4" BS, on a 68 cuda w/ 73-76 discs. LF definitely hits the front lip when backing out of a drive with the wheels turned. RF just barely clears by about 1/8". No problems when just driving forward, only in reverse. Must be a little flex somewhere allowing the wheel to move though the front end is pretty new Moog including the rubber strut rod bushings.

72 must be about the same. I've got 205 70 14's on it now and they don't clear by much. I may keep those on the front and go to 15's on the rear. Looking for some 15X8 steelies for the back to put 275 60 15's on.

-
Back