Frustration

-

xempirex

Reaction score
I finally got into the valiant and sripped out the interior. Seats, seat belts, carpet, etc. Now it seams that I am stuck as I cannot seem to fund putting it back together. Since I am changing from tan to black it means all new stuff. So now the car is in disarray and it's just sitting there. Very frustrating. Anyone else in the same boat?

ft seats---get some nice bucket Summitt store
rear seats-- do a rear seat delete and call it a day
door panels- make'em yourself, plywood, sheetmetal etc
install carpet and use aftermarket seat belts
unfortunately, it costs too much to do stock OEM stuff
just do it comfortabe for you

I think most of us are/were in the same boat.

Personally, I break down my project into many little jobs and don't start one until I've purchased all the parts to finish. This keeps me from eventually having to look at an undrivable basket case because I ran out of finacial steam.

My upholstery for the front and rear seats for my 64 Gt was around $749, this included the seat backs. I repainted my door panels and put some indoor outdoor dark red carpeting on the door panel bottoms, I used headliner material remaining from the headliner install to recover my dash pad. I posted a great source for reasonable seat belts about a year ago. I hope this helps.

Oh yea,stuck that boat,been working on mine for 12 yrs. I gather up what I need to do that project on what part of the car I'm doing at the time and finish ,that do it for the next,sometimes the gathering takes a lot of time.The thing you need to understand is ,you can't get everything done over nite or don't put your car ahead of your family needs ,unless you are rich and lots of extra money to throw around.I'm poor guy ,a lot of the time wheel and deal to get what I need.And I wasn't trying to offend anyone by saying what I said.Most of the guys that have money around here just take cars and have someone else do them so they don't have deal the problems while getting them done.Me ,I rather do it myself and I know what I got and how hard I worked to get that way.I sure respect it a lot more when I'm done.

Good talk here. I'm going buckets in front and recover on the rear bench. I was going to do buckets there but the padding looks too good to waste. The front bench is shot. I want to build out a center console. I think I just got started early. It'll all come together but I think my impatience is getting the best of me. This is my first doing a car so maybe I didn't think there would be so much down time between the work.

your not alone! i buy what i can when i can.... a brake hose here...ball joint there pay my $1 to the pik-a-part just to tool around to find that $6 part that keeps me going...and not tearing it down so i can drive it to get me excited to throw some parts on it.

The upside is that I don't have to drive it. Meaning that I bought it as a toy so that when it gets to this point I'm not on a deadline. It's just that I really want to play with my toy!!!

It's really according what you want to do with the car. Its all about how much money you're willing to put in it.

I'll do what it takes. I have a plan in my mind and I want to stick with it. I hope to be done all in about two years or less. Might be an aggressive plan but I'm hopeful.

I have been "working" on the 4 speed conversion for my car for two years now, thing is I never took out the auto trans so I can still drive it, just keep collecting parts

Hopefully I can get in this weekend and do some more cleaning so I can start painting

70 duster been on jackstands since 1987; coming down. Just get the car in 2 stage primer, and have a little fun.

for the most part i fully agree with everyone. but i love to drivr em too much to completely disable it to the point of not being able to go for a ride. no matter what!

I found that krylon Banner red matches my red interior perfectly which was after experimentation. There is some paint available from some of the interior shops like stockinteriors.com.

How about posting a parts wanted thread to see if you can scare up some nice used items?? What year Valiant?? I have some black stuff for 66!! Geof

after having redone a bunch of interiors, i can give you a few tips.

clean the stuff thats in good condition, and spray it with some SEM interior dye. if done right, no one will ever know the difference. use the same product on your carpets iof theyre still in good shape. headliners are inexpensive to replace, and the aluminum trim can be straightened and polished with avereage tools.

if you need a little inspiration, read the link. ive got right at 600 inb the whole interior, including sound deadening, dye, materials, seat upholstery, replacement parts, and stereo.

and yes, i know its not a radical color change, or even a mopar.

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?3515-interior-resto-thread-(89-sierra-SL-ECLB)

Michael

-
Back