Frustrations but rewarding

-

williaml

Reaction score
I joined this site to help me get my 1965 running perfectly. The people on this site are great and wiling to help with advice. Even with all the knowledge people have these old cars can be a challenge. My 1965 Dodge Dart Convertable is no exception. I have wrote several threads regarding overheating and then not running correctly and received tons of valuable advice. Even with all the advice I was frustrated. One day my wife and I went to a diner here in NJ and sat at a window so we could keep an eye on the Dart. After having 4 total knee replacements on the same knee and needing number 5 so I parked in a handicapped spot since I do have a placard to do so. I watched from the window an elderly couple exited the diner and when they saw the Dart the walked right up to the car and the husband smiled and then I saw his wife start actually crying. I went out to see what had happened and he said she's alright we were just thinking about when we had a Dart 50 years ago and we were reminsinging of all the great times we had in our Dart. How we brought our first child home from the hospital and vacations and such. I let them get in and the emotion the couple showed made it all worth the sweat, and frustration in getting my Dart safe and road worthy.

Very cool that your car could bring back their memories for them...

Touching story. Why do you not have a handicap placard? Do that here and you'll get a 300.00 ticket.

I do have a handicapped placard, otherwise it is a 300 ticket here too.

I joined this site to help me get my 1965 running perfectly. The people on this site are great and wiling to help with advice. Even with all the knowledge people have these old cars can be a challenge. My 1965 Dodge Dart Convertable is no exception. I have wrote several threads regarding overheating and then not running correctly and received tons of valuable advice. Even with all the advice I was frustrated. One day my wife and I went to a diner here in NJ and sat at a window so we could keep an eye on the Dart. After having 4 total knee replacements on the same knee and needing number 5 so I parked in a handicapped spot since I do have a placard to do so. I watched from the window an elderly couple exited the diner and when they saw the Dart the walked right up to the car and the husband smiled and then I saw his wife start actually crying. I went out to see what had happened and he said she's alright we were just thinking about when we had a Dart 50 years ago and we were reminsinging of all the great times we had in our Dart. How we brought our first child home from the hospital and vacations and such. I let them get in and the emotion the couple showed made it all worth the sweat, and frustration in getting my Dart safe and road worthy.

That's cool as hell,thanks for the story. The "Americana "& lifetime spent in these eras, are disappearing.. And these cars keep us in touch...

That's an awesome story! Thank you!

When I brought my Dart home I had it in the driveway getting ready to bring it into the garage, but before I did I ran into the house to get the key. When I came out my neighbor was standing in my driveway staring at the car, his eyes were welled up and he asked me if it was a GTS. I said yes, to which he replied "I thought so" and then didn't say anything for a couple of minutes. I could see the emotions run across his face as he reminisced.

When he collected himself he told me about how him and his cousin bought a GTS and spent their youth in it, cruising, rodding and racing it. Said it brought back lots of memories and things he had forgotten, and that it reminded him about how much he missed his cousin. I asked him if he wanted to take it for a spin but he refused and asked me to take him for a ride when it was all done.

Pretty cool.

Thanks Again.

Whenever I cruise town or country in my Plymouth Road Runner, half the population on the road just seem to love it, compliment it, thank me, and some try to race me.

Some snob on Facebook gave some innocent (complimenting) bystander grief when they asked about his 'Cuda'-it was a 1973 Road Runner. -But not here, everyone here is amazingly supportive. 99% of all threads contain the best support from FABO members.

One guy drove off the road looking at my RR. Bike week in Daytona,? I still get all the stares-I am sooo glad I got into Mopars (by myself) & FABO (via Rusty)!

-
Back