fuel additives for winter storage?

-

jonnydart440

Reaction score
OK, this may be a little early, but I will be storing my car soon. Just wondering what u guys recommend for storage. Obviously its going to be in a garage, not likely starting it up too often. But I do have a brand new holley on there that I don't want to gum up. What do u guys recommend for fuel adatives over the winter?

Because of the ethanol in most fuel today and the fact that it attracts moisture and causes corrosion, most mechanics are recommending that you run all the fuel out of the entire system, if you are going to let it sit very long(over a week or two). I started doing this with my lawnmower's and chainsaw/weed eaters and have had great results.

I have had good luck with a product called StaBil, used per the directions. I am sure that it is available just about anywhere.

I thought no gas was worse than bad gas in the tank over a winter? Tank rust issues? I agree with the lawnmowers, drain them after every use. I get jello in the carb bowl if i let them sit for over a week dont know why, they are stored in a shed.

Drain it. and figure out a way to get the fuel out of the system.

I no longer store anything that long unused. Get siphon / bulb / pump setup and unhook the fuel line and siphon it dry. Run the carb dry

Here in Canada high test has no ethanol in it. I fill the tank in the fall and add stabilizer and have had no problems so far

This has worked for me for the past 7 winters: Fill tank to about 2/3 to 3/4 full with fresh 93 octane 10% alcohol gas (the best we have here), fill a 5 gallon can with the same gas, add the appropriate amount of Griot's Fuel Preservative to the can, mix thoroughly, and dump it all into the gas tank. (Stabil is also O.K., but not my 1st choice.) Then start the car and run it a few minutes to get this mixture into all the lines and the carb. Come back in the spring, and start it up and drive it like normal. Like I said, I have never had any fuel related issues by following this procedure.

Note: do not just put the Stabil/Griot's in the tank. It must be mixed with a good quantity of gas first, or it won't work.

Thanks a lot for all the input guys! And thanks for the tip 69_340_GTS, I never thought of mixing an addative thoroughly in a 5 gallon tank first, I'm definitely gonna do that! I probably won't drain the tank or fuel system, I definitely don't have the self control to NOT fire it up in the garage once and a while!!!

I'm with toolmanmike, sea foam thats it. Works great i drain my snow blower n lawn mowers then throw a splash in the tank and start them up to get the last bit of fuel out.
The car i fill and treat with sea foam. I start it a couple times durring winter.

before I let it sit during the winter I drive to gas station and fill to half tank, add stabil and drive home. Always starts right up in spring, rebuilt carb 2 years ago and found no gum ..... I've seen people completely drain the fuel system and it ended up worse, good luck getting all the moisture out ...

You only store it for what? 5 months? That's what I do. You really don't need anything. Sta-bil used to tell you on their website that their product would last 2-4 weeks. I drop in a bottle of Seafoam, drive for a while, and park it. Seafoam is a gas stabilizer and a detergent, so it's good for the system at start up as well.

Here in Canada high test has no ethanol in it. I fill the tank in the fall and add stabilizer and have had no problems so far

I run this mix in all my toys, car, boat and bikes.
just say no to ethanol and save alot of grief. lol

You only store it for what? 5 months? That's what I do. You really don't need anything. Sta-bil used to tell you on their website that their product would last 2-4 weeks...

That's one of the reasons I use the Griot's Garage stabilizer. They say 2 years! Seems to be a better product than Stabil, anyways.

This crap in Texas has no shelf life, I hear from a reliable source that its designed to eat components up in older cars (fuel pumps etc etc) and not last long enuff to hoard it, preppers are hoarding it, maybe they know something we dont?

I use chevron 91 (10% ethanol) no choice in Cali....all gas has the ethanol. I regularly mix Marvel Mystery Oil in my gas to the specified mix. I've done it for years and never had an issue with gas separation or sludge buildup in any of my many vehicles I've had. Learned everything from an old school mechanic. If you run out you can substitute with Automatic tranny fluid. 4 oz to 10 gallons of gas. Upper cylinder lubricant which protects the valves and the whole top end. Keeps the carb from gumming up or corroding. Also adds a lubing quality to today's dry Eco fuels. Keeps the rubber seals and gaskets from drying out and cracking. Remember Lead was used to raise octane, lube the valve seats and lube the innards of the carburetor. Diesels always last longer as they have oil in the fuel which lubes the top end. One place that's lacking with gasoline. Engines always had the head issues and the top end over all. This method helps. I've seen heads pulled with people who used this method and it looked almost new, clean with minimal wear.I also add some to the engine just before an oil change to flush everything. Everyone has their own opinions and methods. I do what I was taught by my childhood neighbor and old school mechanic and racer. It works for me. I also have done this with lawnmowers and edgers and left them sit for months and they start right up. Saved a few as well that sat for a couple of years or more. Dumped out fuel, sprayed out tank with brake parts cleaner. Then sprayed out gunked up carb with brake parts cleaner. Added new fuel treated with MMO to the tank, sprayed out carb agin with carb cleaner and starts right up. Let run a few minutes, adjust carb, and then good to go.

If you have the time and the desire you can get gas with the ethanol and add water to it. Shake it up and the ethanol goes to the water. Then freeze it in batches and remove the ice which contains the alcohol. Or try and pour it off. Then you are left with just gasoline....... Don't have the patience or the room to try and do it. Others out there have done it there are threads about it on the net. I just prefer to treat the gas with MMO or Auto tranny fluid in the proper amount. I have seen others use sea foam with success also but for me I buy the MMO gallon container rather cheaply and refill a bottle I keep in the trunk.

Marvel Mystery Oil was developed back in 1923 or so to fight the build up of sludge in carbs on the armed forces airplanes. They used to get it in 55 gallon drums to treat the fuel. It's was first developed and designed for helping with fuel issues. As a carb that craps out or stalls out at 10,000 feet or more is a bad situation.

-
Back