Fuel Cell Inlet

-

I8NEMO

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm going with my original plan for an in- trunk cell. I'll write what I want to do, reply if you've had experience with custom cells etc.
I want to employ the original fill location instead of filling through the trunk opening. This would be done using a section or sections of flexible fuel fill tube between the fender and the tank. A top fitted 90 on the tank wouldn't work since that makes the fill tube level, I'm concerned with fuel backing out at fill up. I think a fitting into the tanks side at the top of tank height would work giving fuel a draining slope. Im not too worried about fuel slosh back up the filler, should I be? Im considering mounting the tank as seen in the plan view picture, without any deck across the spare cavity. Lastly, if I retain the factory vent on the filler tube, is my venting concern over with? 68 Barracuda, 340, mechanical fuel pump, Carb. I had several test drives before the right leaf spring put a hole in the factory tank. Live and learn.
Thanks

20230206_144851.jpg

20230206_144902.jpg

20230206_144913.jpg

That fill pipe angle will not work.

Had a truck at work they moved the fill pipe like yours is positioned. You couldn’t put fuel in without it spraying out. Take all day to fill the tank You had to go so slow.

That fill pipe angle will not work.

Had a truck at work they moved the fill pipe like yours is positioned. You couldn’t put fuel in without it spraying out. Take all day to fill the tank You had to go so slow.
agreed, I would never attempt that. So the question I posed is: would an inlet just below the tank top be enough slope.

Here's what I did. you've already given up on the spare, so use the space. These pictures don't show the top straps it has now

20160225_115435.jpg

20160225_115534.jpg

Thanks. Yes, I made it from poster board and had a fab shop make it. It's baffled and sealed. 16 gallons, in tank pump, VDO sender.

20141013_184723.jpg

Oh wow, that looks like great capacity. The through valance exhaust decision combined with leaf spring relocation came with negating anything below the trunk floor that interferes with the new exhaust pipe locations. The spare tire well will actually get notched now to allow room for the exhaust to continue on the inside of each leaf spring, then out through the valance locations. My first reason believe it or not, to put a cell in the trunk was so the differential was fully visible.

69 trunk trim  and tail lightconversion.jpg

20191119_152554.jpg

20220721_135948.jpg

I went with a budget tank I actually found on Amazon. Check out "Stark Universal 20 Gallon Aluminum Fuel Cell" $179.00 complete
I’ve used that style of tank in previous vehicles when I cut out the spare tire well but always thought about making a tank fit the well. Hopefully 68cuda408 has some pre install pics he’s willing to share.

Not sure why your pics came through in the quoted text but damn that turned out really nice and looks well done. Thanks for sharing.

@68cuda408 any pics of your tank prior to installing
Here ya go...I have a triangulated 4 bar and made my own tubs, the exhaust ends before the rear axle, the cell made room for the upper coil over mount. The 2 fuel lines you see go to pipe welded through the factory upper shock mount bosses to bring the lines outside the car. BTW the plates welded to the trunk floor were from the roll bar (maybe I'll put one back in)

-
Back