Fuel Fluke

-
Well I dropped the old tank a filtered out what was in the tank through a shirt into a bucket. When I installed the Autometer sending unit (the white think in the pic) I had to enlarge the hole. I put silicone around the gasket to help seal the enlarged areas .... well that was not a smart move. I don't really know if this is the main cause of my problems but it surely did not help any. I guess traveling down the road the silicone would slowly piece by piece attach itself to the fuel sock therefore blocking flow. The Autometer gauges look nice and I get a bunch of comments on them but trying to get a accurate reading of the level of the fuel is the only down fall I have with them.

Back to the silicone... why was it not a problem with the Eddy carb and a problem for the Holley? So here I go again not sure what the soul trouble maker is located. Anyways here are some pics of what I found, the tank, the tank temporarily installed to see what it will look like.... I'm thinking about clear coating the tank and leave it nature.

DSC02401.jpg

DSC02402.jpg

DSC02403.jpg

DSC02405.jpg

DSC02397.jpg

DSC02407.jpg

DSC02408.jpg

DSC02410.jpg

DSC02411.jpg

Alrighty...... I installed the new tank, sending unit and my Holley 750. I took the brass filter out of the fuel log like I previously mentioned. Drove the car today without any problems.... today... tomorrow might be a different story. LOL!

So either a) it was the silicone floating around in the tank and blocking fuel entering the line or b) that brass filter was causing a problem by aerating the fuel thus turning it to vapor. If it was a) then the Holley just couldn't deal with the fuel starvation as well as the Eddy carb. The Carter fuel pump that was on there at first might not been the problem because of the fuel restriction in the tank which was my fault. My gas gauge does not read correctly(AutoMeter gas gauge) but reads well enough so that I don't run out of gas. The ohms is not correct of the gas gauge.

But I'm back in business and would like to thank everyone that has helped me this.

Thanks!!

Good Job! Happy Cruising and Good Luck!

Thanks!

That's exactly what I did .... I went crusing tonight up and down our main drag. Saw some pretty girls but didn't bring any home..:angry7:

I have a question that ya'll might could give a little feed back on.

I have been watching the fuel pressure gauge for awhile since the problem popped up. Not long ago when I shut the motor the fuel gauge needle would slowly go down to zero in about 5 minutes or so. Now it will stay there at 7.5 for a long period of time... like 30 minutes or more. I haven't went back out to check to see if it has dropped but was wondering if that is good or bad to have pressure like that even though the motor is not running?

Glad you got some bugs worked out of that fuel problem.

Happy motoring, and I hope you snag one of those honeys out there, or two....a guy can dream right?

My fuel gauge drops like now when I kill the motor, but I have no explanation for you on the continued pressure after shut down so I will shut up now and let someone smarter give you their $.02.

Glad you got her whooped Mulli, 3 months and some $$$. but at least you know what you have now. As far as the pressure, I`ve never run a gauge, but I think its ok, when the pump gets older, It`ll probably start leaking back down sooner. I thought holleys had sintered filters in their inlets anyhow. good luck:happy10:

Glad you got her whooped Mulli, 3 months and some $$$. but at least you know what you have now. As far as the pressure, I`ve never run a gauge, but I think its ok, when the pump gets older, It`ll probably start leaking back down sooner. I thought holleys had sintered filters in their inlets anyhow. good luck:happy10:

I thought the same thing but this carb didn't have them. The Summit fuel log had it however.

Fact: The new stock pump holds the pressure and the Carter let the pressure drop very quickly like Spaz has mentioned. It was actually way less that 5 mintutes now that I thank about it.

Glad you got some bugs worked out of that fuel problem.

Happy motoring, and I hope you snag one of those honeys out there, or two....a guy can dream right?

My fuel gauge drops like now when I kill the motor, but I have no explanation for you on the continued pressure after shut down so I will shut up now and let someone smarter give you their $.02.

Me to... but I really think it was my fault the whole time. Trying to get that gas gauge to read dead nuts was a stab in the back more than anything. But anyways .... today there isn't any car shows here in town. I might venture out to see if I can find one. Today however I am going to take the car to my upholstery lady and let her look at my headliner and visors. I can't find her number after all these years. I'm thinking it would be best to let the painter, glass man get done with installing my new gaskets before he installs the headliner. The previous painter taped out the gaskets and didn't do a good job around the gaskets is why it needs painted. I don't need anymore over spray on my interior... I got enough now on my seats that I can't get to come off!!! LOL

Sillycone has no place on an engine, or even your house. Use eurathane.

I've have learned my lesson with it that is for sure. The only place that I find justifiable is on each end of the intake manifold and not use the cork gaskets. I have read with my own eyes on the Eldelbrock web to use RTV on each end of the manifold. But as you mentioned I did use a black urethane on my intake manifold the last time I had it off.

Glad to hear you got it. Let's hope this thread can close!! Even though you spent money, you do have a new gas tank, and more things on an old car either replaced or figured out.
I for one can say that if a problem arises on my car, I will know right where and what it is!

Glad to hear you got it. Let's hope this thread can close!! Even though you spent money, you do have a new gas tank, and more things on an old car either replaced or figured out.
I for one can say that if a problem arises on my car, I will know right where and what it is!

If you don't like the thread you can always unsubscribe from it! It really doesn't matter to me!

Wow... I wished I had that capability of all knowing if a problem arises on my car, I will know right where and what it is! You know if everyone on here had that kind of all knowing about their cars we wouldn't really have that much to talk about now would we?

If you don't like the thread you can always unsubscribe from it! It really doesn't matter to me!

Wow... I wished I had that capability of all knowing if a problem arises on my car, I will know right where and what it is! You know if everyone on here had that kind of all knowing about their cars we wouldn't really have that much to talk about now would we?

LOL.....I meant that sarcasticly!!! If the thread closed, that means the problem is solved...LOL

I did stretch the truth a bit on knowing everything on my car.......heck, some things I didn't even notice and they were right under my nose!!!!

I put 354 miles on the car today going to a car show in NC. This was interstate driving , stop and go driving, and in between with no problems. I even blew a ricer away on the interstate... I'd walk off and leave him... I'd let him catch back up beside me and walk off leave him again. I seen a big blue smoke come out of his car and a valve popping off and on (turbo?) Anyways he gave me the thumbs up and didn't want any more.

So it's fixed alls well and the Fuel Fluke thread is closed (unless someone has questions that I will be more than happy to answer).

-
Back