Fuel Fluke

-
I soak my holley sintered bronze in carb clean or brake clean. Check for junk in your needle/seat. Take the metering block(s) off and blow compressed air through all the orifices. I bet its at the filters or in the needle/seats though. Just do a teardown and inspection and let us know what you find.

Congrats, now you`ll sleep better:-D I believe prw.val.`s operate @ low vac. higher R`s. Your`s is cruse/possibly heat related right? submerge and/or weigh floats. Blow out passeges, jets, vents, check sintered filters if clogged? weird indeed. You should still be under warrenty for parts:clock: also I think your pressure is spot on.

I soak my holley sintered bronze in carb clean or brake clean. Check for junk in your needle/seat. Take the metering block(s) off and blow compressed air through all the orifices. I bet its at the filters or in the needle/seats though. Just do a teardown and inspection and let us know what you find.

I took the Holley completely apart and blew out everything hole with compressed air. All I had was a little film of grim on the bottom of the front bowl... nothing in the rear bowl. The floats looked fine. I did not submerge them however. I guess I need to do that to make sure. The power valves are fine... they move when I apply suction to them.

If that filtration device is one of those sintered bronze things (looks like a bunch of tiny metal balls mashed together), I'd take it out and run a normal canister filter. They've aggravated starvation issues for me in the past. Just out of curiosity - if it is one of the sintered units, is it in the line on the pump side of the gauge?

The sintered filter is located in the red circle of the picture. I'm thinking that Summit fuel log has something to do with it now that the carb is and was clean in my opinion. Remember I did not have this problem until the temperature got warm in my region. If it is vapor locking there in the fuel log now that the motor temperature is down then I guess I'll have to ditch that thing and try a different approach.

Today I drove without the electric fan on in which it is a pusher and the temperature stayed at 185* every where I went. Just seeing if it made a difference in which it really didn't. I guess I can use it as a back up in stalled traffic or something. It was around 93* at the time.

DSC01427.jpg

Do you have one of these lying around? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G3100/ Just make sure you put a simple filter in front of it.

I'm going to remove the sintered filter first and give it a try. I'm going to different things and see what happens.... I got to get the Holley back on to get the performance back up. Friend of mine has the same type Holley I have and the exact same line you got listed and he drove his with no problems yesterday.

I was amazed at all the cars that was having over heating problems at the crusien in last night.... I would have been there right with them if I had not bought that Griffin radiator.

I think I,m having some fuel issues also?I took my car to the track(66 Dart)ran fine before,now after a couple runs I,m getting surging?I,m gonna have to pull the sender and sock,buy new ones.I don,t want to glog up another carb.Hope this is the problem?Car runs at 180 cruising but climbs up in traffic.

I think I,m having some fuel issues also?I took my car to the track(66 Dart)ran fine before,now after a couple runs I,m getting surging?I,m gonna have to pull the sender and sock,buy new ones.I don,t want to glog up another carb.Hope this is the problem?Car runs at 180 cruising but climbs up in traffic.

I tell you what ...... I have addressed just about every part of the fuel system and cooling system this year! I'm not done yet... I have had such luck with the car lately that I'm replacing the tank and sending unit. I've had enough of it I guess. The car did fine yesterday at the cruise ins and everywhere I went. But my fuel gauge started ready incorrectly again. I filled the tank and it only showed a little over 1/4 of a tank.... so it's good that I got a tank and unit on the way.

Yesterday my friends and I left one cruise in and went to another. We had get on the interstate and drive for a little while. In front was a Sublime 72 Cuda with 440, next was a white 68 Dart post with 360 crate motor(this motor does not play), and me in the back with my cuda. We had people just a waving and carrying on...lol

There was some cars that was having fuel or cooling problems yesterday that's for sure. The temp was 98* ..... some shutting down in the middle of the road. I'm sure glad I got the radiator in before we got hit with the hot temps. It was in the high 80s when my car was getting up to 210* .... I hate imagine what it would have done yesterday.

I talked to some people about my Holley carb drama. Told them I switched out the Holley to the Eddy and have not had the problem. Some of them told me the Holley's bowls are over the intake and Eddy's of course isn't. The heat is coming off of the intake and boiling the fuel in the bowls. Or in my case the steel line block deal or both EVEN THOUGH I have a 1" phenmoic (sp) spacer in between the carb and intake. One guy suggested that I get a ceramic spacer made. ????????

The guy with the 68 Dart and crate motor has the same set up as mine running a dual line Holley and he doesn't have that problem. I realize there's a lot variations to compare one engine to another but still. Anyways I've got some more work to do I know that.

[Qoute]I talked to some people about my Holley carb drama. Told them I switched out the Holley to the Eddy and have not had the problem. Some of them told me the Holley's bowls are over the intake and Eddy's of course isn't. The heat is coming off of the intake and boiling the fuel in the bowls. Or in my case the steel line block deal or both EVEN THOUGH I have a 1" phenmoic (sp) spacer in between the carb and intake. One guy suggested that I get a ceramic spacer made. ????????
This guy is high....totally invalid. I run a holey as well as alot of my customers and that has NEVER been a problem. I bet the problem is in the main body. Try a proform main body and I bet the problem goes away. I have had one for about 3-4 years now and it runs just fine.

My plan of attack is to get the tank/sending unit installed first. Then make sure I have a established fuel pressure that's not going up then down like it has been doing. One thing that I have in question is removing the brass fuel filter that is in the fuel log if that will cause a problem? The way that thing is made I doubt I would find a filter that would fit perfectly in there and work correctly. After I do that then I was going to try the Holley one more time because I have not ran it after I took it completely apart and blew it out. Go from there another words. To be honest I just don't think the carb or fuel log is getting that hot to cause a problem. I have felt it a thousand times and it doesn't feel that hot. There is air constantly circulating around the carb from the fan.

Oh.... one thing I did notice is the jets are the same size in the front as they are in the back. Is that normal? I always thought they are bigger in the back. The jet size is 73.

What part of the Proform main body is different than the Holley main body that would fix my carb? Gosh I would hate to buy a Proform main body and that wouldn't be the solution. It might get down to that after all is said and done however.

I just noticed the black hood on your car. Do you have an insulator pad under the hood?

No I don't.

I have one but it's the cheesy cheap type so I removed it. I'll keep that in mind however because I have not thought about that.

Glad you got the cooling issues taken care of and made it to the car shows.

It is embarassing when you are the only guy puking coolant after you arrive at the car show, especially when you are the only mopar representative, ask me how I know LOL.

I guess it's better when other guys are having issues as well, but with 95 degree weather, it's hard to keep anything with some balls under the hood running cool.

Sounds like you had a good time cruising with other cool cars too as it don't get much better than that.

Sorry, I thought that you had run it AFTER you cleaned it out. I would put it all back together and run it.
Never mind the proform, I see that you have non-choke tower holley. The only way it should be square jetted is if it has no power valve. If it has a front power valve, you need at least a 6 number jump from front to back. Standard is 8. I would run 70 in front and 76 or 78 out back. Check your vacuum at idle and then choose your appropriate PV.

Glad you got the cooling issues taken care of and made it to the car shows.

It is embarassing when you are the only guy puking coolant after you arrive at the car show, especially when you are the only mopar representative, ask me how I know LOL.

I guess it's better when other guys are having issues as well, but with 95 degree weather, it's hard to keep anything with some balls under the hood running cool.

Sounds like you had a good time cruising with other cool cars too as it don't get much better than that.

Man I had a blast yesterday. Poor fellow driving a 69 Camaro shut off just as he was going to turn in the parking lot. My friends 440 was shutting down on him when he starts to back into a parking spot. He would have to crank it up several times. Don't know if it was the heat or not cause it's been a on going problem. There was some other cars that didn't sound to healthy yesterday because of the heat.

Sorry, I thought that you had run it AFTER you cleaned it out. I would put it all back together and run it.
Never mind the proform, I see that you have non-choke tower holley. The only way it should be square jetted is if it has no power valve. If it has a front power valve, you need at least a 6 number jump from front to back. Standard is 8. I would run 70 in front and 76 or 78 out back. Check your vacuum at idle and then choose your appropriate PV.

Yeah it's got PV in the back and four corner enrichment screws. It's a HP series carb.

"Oh.... one thing I did notice is the jets are the same size in the front as they are in the back. Is that normal? I always thought they are bigger in the back. The jet size is 73." Here you go......
http://www.mortec.com/carbs.htm

Thanks... I'll read up on it when I have more time.

What size carb is it? What cam do you have? What compression are you running?

67 cuda' Fastback

.030 over 360 10:7 compression
KB forged pistons
Holley 750 HP mechanical secondaries
Performer intake
302 heads/back cut valves/milled to 57cc
CompCam Roller Rockers
Tru roller timing chain
.474/.474 MP cam
Milodon oil pan
TTI headers with X-pipe, Flow 40s
Accel 300+ ignition with rev limiter
4-Speed with McLeod clutch/PresPlate
489 Case 8.3/4 Suregrip with 3.55 gears
Yukon axles/Green bearings
KYB shocks
Electric Fan
March pullies
AutoMeter MCX 5" gauges
Electric trunk release
Pistol Grip shifter
Griffin Radiator

70 AAR cuda' stripe

Weld Prostar wheels

Still, 73 jets all the way around seems a bit odd. It has 2 PV's? I personally would have just the primary block with a PV, try 70 front jets and 78 rears and see how it likes it. I have a bit more cam and compression than you and I run 72 and 80's. The issue may still be there. What PV are you running now?

Still, 73 jets all the way around seems a bit odd. It has 2 PV's? I personally would have just the primary block with a PV, try 70 front jets and 78 rears and see how it likes it. I have a bit more cam and compression than you and I run 72 and 80's. The issue may still be there. What PV are you running now?

This is a HP series carb (pictured above) with progressive secondaries is more than likely why it has two PVs. They are both 6.5.

http://www.holley.com/0-80528-1.asp

This carb works great like it is.... but since a) it got warm it has been down hill or b) since I removed the tank and reinstalled it. I drove all winter without any problems... car hauls ***! In the winter time that is.... lol! I'll be getting the tank tomorrow and more than likely change it out over the weekend and go at it one more time with the Holley.

Cool. Let us know what you find out.

Well it's going to be longer now that what I thought!

RockAuto forgot to put the sending unit in with the gas tank box!! I got the gas tank and was wondering where the heck the sending unit was. I called them and to make long story short they forgot to pack it in with the gas tank.

Oh well.... I haven't had any bad luck on all my other orders I have placed for my car so I guess it was about time.

Mine came in a seperate box, as did the straps and fuel pump.

The guy I talked to on the phone asked me if the gas tank box had been opened and if the box had Rockauto tape on it? I told him no that the box was still stapled together. Then he asked if I had a invoice and I said told there was no invoice. Then that's when he said they failed to ship it. Fedex is just showing one box for the two items I ordered. I'm going to give them a call today and make sure they have shipped it. I have not received a email all day yesterday that they have shipped it. If I owned a company and failed to do as I say I would have the thing shipped as fast as possible to the buyer! You just don't get good service any longer.

I have seen those and have that on my alternative list. I don't like the way they look but if it has to come down to that I will invest in one. Something is still telling me it's the fuel log that is causing the problem... I want to have the new tank in before I install the Holley. But I might try some testing with the Holley and see how it goes this weekend. I have been trying to come up with something to wrap the fuel log in just to rub it out as one of the causes of the problem I'm having.

-
Back