Fuel gauge and sender compatibility.

-

Moparmadness408

Reaction score
I have a 1967 Plymouth Valiant, and I installed an auto meter fuel gauge on it. It reads linear resistance. From my understanding, the original sender is un linear. The gauge is 73-10 ohm. I believe there to be issues with the original sender, causing it to read just over half a tank when it’s completely empty. I replaced the sending unit with a spectre one off of amazon. Now with 5 gallons of fuel it reads empty. When you ground the gauge wire at the sender it will read full. I think either a, the part is a non linear sender or b, it is bad out of the box. This is the part # is Spectra premium FG69A. From what I understood, all the aftermarket senders were linear. If this part isn’t I would like to know what aftermarket part would be compatible with my gauge.

No aftermarket sender will work correctly with the OEM guage.

You lost me a bit with your question. My confusion is are all of the measurements based on OEM and spectra sender and aftermarket guage?

Keep in mind the tank itself is not retangular. It has the cut out for the spare. What I'm trying to point out is that the 1st 5 gallons or so will lower the float faster then the following 13 gallons.

Did your aftermarket guage recommend a sender or a ohm range?

Do you still have your OEM sender. They can be referbushed.

OR I will buy it from you for a reasonable price.

Something that may help is an add on device "metermatch" It is a programmable module that goes between sender and gauge to adjust the drive to the gauge

It appears "Tanks inc" has bought them and the PRICE WENT UP

Original gauge and sender operated on 80-10 range. 78 ohms wouldn't cause a noticeable needle movement so that isn't/wasn't a test. 73 ohms lifts the needle to the first empty hash mark. This test shows working and it also serves as low fuel warning. Should be 3 or so gallons in the tank, depending on which tank and angle of the tank. Does your aftermarket gauge needle fall to a home position below empty at switch off? If it rests on 'E' and that is 73 ohms, 5 gallons wouldn't lift it much.

Search for threads on meter match. They work really well. I installed one on mine and fixed the aftermarket sender issues I had.

-
Back