Fuel Gauge and Temperature Gauge Dead

-

Fox1809

Reaction score
The gas gauge and engine temperature gauge were both working good in my 67 Dart. Both gauges have suddenly stopped functioning. The battery gauge still functions. I did some forum searches and the problem might be the instrument cluster voltage regulator? If this went bad, why is the battery charge gauge still working? Wouldn't all gauges stop functioning if the regulator went bad? Any ideas how to diagnose problem, or should I just go ahead and try replacing the instrument cluster voltage regulator? I found that Auto Zone has one for $37.99.

The instrument regulator is not connected to the ammeter (what you called the "battery gauge.)

It may or may not be that simple. On my own 67, there were a number of problems with the temp/ fuel gauge system.

I don't know that I'd buy an Autozone replacement, rather spend the bucks on an aftermarket solid state replacement. RTE is one

(I'm not connected, but they seem to be good)

http://rt-eng.com/rte/index.php/Main_Page

Again, there may be other problems.

Generally, the IGN switch feeds power to the cluster, to the warning lights (oil and brake) and to the instrument regulator.

The output of the regulator branches off and goes to both gauges,

and each gauge then goes to a sender to ground

On my 67, here are the problems:

The harness connector pins were in terrible shape, some broken and some corroded and loose. You can resolder them, mine were so bad I replaced the originals with Radio Shack "Molex" style connectors

The brass fingers which form the socket for the VR were not making connection to the PC board, and I had to solder jumpers between the brass fingers and the copper board traces.

The gauge nut studs were corroded. Consider replacing them with "real" nuts and work them loose/ tight several times to insure connection.

The senders for both gauges go BACK through two pins on the harness, so another place for trouble

The fuel sender wire goes down to the connector for the rear harness in the left kick panel, and back to the rear

The temp sender feeds out through the bulkhead connector, yet another source of trouble for that gauge.

I recommend you plan on getting dirty and doing it "right."

Pull the bolts on the column floor plate, drop the column, and (after unhooking the battery) pull the cluster out, and go through it methodically checking each point I mentioned.

Thanks for all of the information. I was unaware of RTE. RTE solid state part is much better than Auto Zone replacement. I will take the cluster out and check the pins and other things you pointed out. I do not have a service manual. Do you have a link with instructions for taking the cluster out?

Not all repairs require removing the instrument panel.
Removing the instrument panel can do more harm than good too.
You could just pull the old voltage limiter out and poke a new one in.

First thing, disconnect the battery.
Remove the speedo cable from the back of the cluster, take the screws out around the cluster and ease it out.
If you have the original amp meter in it those wire are pretty heavy and make it hard to get the cluster out.
Just ease it out where you can get to them and take them loose from the guage and then the next thing to remove from the cluster will be the main socket connector.
After that it's cake.
I have aftermarket manual temp and oil senders in my original guage locations, so I have to disconnect them both at the engine and pull the leads out through the firewall when I take mine out (so your lucky)

Anyway, I made a solid state VR for my original guages when they were still in there that you can have if it will help.
As you can see, I have played with my guages quite a bit.:D

Attachments

• guageregulator.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 213
  • use this one.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 194
You can try this one. 25 bucks and lifetime warranty
http://www.ebay.com/itm/280911701236?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649

regulator.png

-
Back