Fuel Gauge not working

-

VonCramp

Reaction score
I have installed a new sending unit in my tank on my '69 Cuda. I am using 3/8 braided hose all the way to motor. I attached a ground wire to the sending unit and frame. The gauge still doesn't work though. It doesn't even try to move when the key is turned on. Any ideas?

Search here. Many posts. Open the body connector at the kick panel (driver's left foot) and probe both ways - resistance to ground thru sender to verify it, test resistor on other side to see if gage works. Need more details? - search.

Do the oil and temp gauges work ? A typical answer to my question is "Those aren't connected so I don't know. I have aftermarket gauges under dash".

The oil gauge is not hooked up. Temp gauge goes all the way to hot when key is on.

If the temp gauge goes to max when the switch is turned on, The gauge voltage limiter is working. It may not be working as it should though. In any case you need to disconnect the temp sender. Otherwise that gauge will die also.
If after the sender is disconnected, that gauge still goes to max, there is a fault in the wiring somewhere. Could be in the engine harness under the hood or could be behind the inst' panel.

-
Back